When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn-Find 1952 Schwinn Hornet value?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've got another idea for this bike, one that would be a decent balance between maintaining the original paint, as well as customizing it in a way I like. I brought it home tonight so I could do some mockups later. If I like the idea enough, I might just keep the Schwinn and build it during the next Build Off or something. If I don't like how it looks, I might just sell or trade the bike for one I'd feel more comfortable building however I want.

Okay, here are some ideas I have in mind to make it easier for me to love the original paint and patina on this Schwinn. First, I had initially thought about turning this bike into a "street bomber," but part of that look involves removing the chain guard, which is an element that's too cool to remove, at least in my opinion.
48schwinn003_1600-jpg.jpg

What I'm currently thinking of going for is an "as found barn-find" board track racer-vibe, like someone turned their Schwinn Hornet into a board track bike back in the '50s or '60s, then hung it up in a barn only for it to be discovered 50 years later. This bike is in fact a real barn-find, as the guy I bought it from pulled it out of some guy's barn. I think if I build it up using almost nothing but old rusty parts, that would make for a neat appearance. This bike here is a great example of the look I have in mind:
rac16.jpg

I'd also love to try stretching the wheelbase a few inches in the front and rear, using a rat trap springer and some extension plates bolted to the rear dropouts, kind of like this bike pictured below has. I think stretching the wheelbase would give it that much more of a motorcycle appearance than if I left the wheelbase stock.
ez67T2d.jpg

Once I can get all the nuts and bolts to break free (or just break,) I've got a few parts I'll want to mock up to help me decide whether or not I'll want to build this bike this way, and more importantly, whether or not I'll want to keep this bike.

What do you think? Does that sound like a good idea for this bike, or should I go for something else entirely?

Last edited:
I got this 1952 Schwinn Hornet straight bar a couple months ago, and I'm trying to figure out how much it's worth, and what to do with it. It looks to be mostly intact, though it's missing the front wheel (the one pictured is just something I had,) the back third of the rear rack, the original grips and possibly a tank. I paid $40 for this bike, which is crazy cheap in my opinion, but as much as I wanted this bike, I've got a problem with it.

I've wanted to build a Schwinn straight bar for a while now, and while I've had a couple before this one, they were all pretty rough and incomplete. This one is nice and straight, and it even has the original paint, patina'd to perfection... which is kind of the problem. I really want to paint this bike up my own way, but that means removing the original paint that has survived untouched by anything more than time and the elements for almost 70 years. I love bikes with custom paint jobs, but at the same time, I'm kind of a purist, and I'd hate to remove the original rusty red paint. It really doesn't help that red is one of my least favorite colors, and I've already got 2 red bikes in my relatively small collection that I'm leaving the paint untouched. I really don't want another red bike, even though the paint and patina look nice on this one.

So with that being said, I'm contemplating either selling or hopefully trading this Schwinn straight bar for at least one other Schwinn straight bar that is either missing the original paint or has been repainted in a way that won't make me feel guilty about doing it up my way. I'd rather see this bike go to someone who'll appreciate the original surviving paint better than I do. So, realistically speaking, what's this Hornet worth? If I put it up for sale, how much could I expect to sell it for? If I could trade it, would it be possible to get more than one bike in equal or worse condition, at least as far as paint goes? Or, would it be best for me to just ignore the guilt and just paint and build this Schwinn the way I want?

View attachment 1535090
View attachment 1535091
View attachment 1535092
View attachment 1535093
View attachment 1535094
View attachment 1535095
View attachment 1535096
View attachment 1535097
View attachment 1535098
View attachment 1535099
View attachment 1535100
View attachment 1535101
View attachment 1535102
View attachment 1535103
View attachment 1535104
View attachment 1535105
View attachment 1535106
View attachment 1535107
View attachment 1535108
View attachment 1535109
Hey Austin, Nice score on the Hornet.. I would put a value of around a C note on this one.. Really COOOL old Schwinn.. RideOn.. Razin...

Me personally.....(once again, me personally) Ide never modify that bike in any way shape or form but then again, your name is on the title and not mine and its kinda up to you. I do alot of hoop-jumpin to land bikes with that kinda patina.....

...but once again, its not mine so I can only tell you what I would do. Guess Im boring to most people.
Title? Really? Where?

Hey Austin, Nice score on the Hornet.. I would put a value of around a C note on this one.. Really COOOL old Schwinn.. RideOn.. Razin...
Thanks! Had to look up what "C note" meant, but that's around the value another guy on Rat Rod Bikes suggested. If it's really worth only around $100-$150, I might just use that as an excuse to build this bike the way I really want. I doubt I'd be able to sell this bike and buy even half the same parts I want in worse condition. I might still be able to trade, but given how I'm already having a hard time attempting to unbolt everything, I could only sell or trade it locally. Right now, most of the nuts and bolts are either rounded or are about to be rounded, so unless I can loosen, cut or drill the original bolts, this bike's staying in one piece. I'm letting everything soak in PB Blaster over the next couple days, so hopefully every bolt will break free when I try to take it apart again.

Thanks! Had to look up what "C note" meant, but that's around the value another guy on Rat Rod Bikes suggested. If it's really worth only around $100-$150, I might just use that as an excuse to build this bike the way I really want. I doubt I'd be able to sell this bike and buy even half the same parts I want in worse condition. I might still be able to trade, but given how I'm already having a hard time attempting to unbolt everything, I could only sell or trade it locally. Right now, most of the nuts and bolts are either rounded or are about to be rounded, so unless I can loosen, cut or drill the original bolts, this bike's staying in one piece. I'm letting everything soak in PB Blaster over the next couple days, so hopefully every bolt will break free when I try to take it apart again.
C note? What's that? I keep forgetting your not from me and your dad's generation.. Maybe if i said a "HUNDO" or so, that might have helped.. I really think you should just build this bike, Rusty bolts and all.. She's a BEAUTY....

Back