When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Stingray Fenders

-

Mikey

Look Ma, No Hands!
Does anyone know how to tell if Schwinn Stingray fenders are Original or a Reproduction? Thanks!!

The early ones,I think before 1968 have a trimmed or "razor" edge as its called. The newer ones have a hemmed edge,the metal is folded over and flattened so not have a sharp edge. I dont think the razor fenders were ever reproduced.I had a set of repop hemmed fenders from the 90's and couldnt tell any difference.I thought they were nice as the gennies but I'm not a Sting-Ray expert.

THANK YOU!! Now I know that the fenders I have are Razor Edge Originals and not Repro's!! One less part that I need for my project.....Just about ready for Primer!!
2012_03120003.jpg

Stingray Fenders

Correct early stingray fenders were "razor" edged..Standard and Deluxe front fenders had no brace but the Super Deluxe models and Krates same fender but with brace..Early krates were "razor" fenders till sometime in late 68 went rolled edge..The 1998-1999 were nice repos but bad chrome...2001 and on bad repo on aftermarket stingrays not to mention the seats on them...

The early ones,I think before 1968 have a trimmed or "razor" edge as its called. The newer ones have a hemmed edge,the metal is folded over and flattened so not have a sharp edge. I dont think the razor fenders were ever reproduced.I had a set of repop hemmed fenders from the 90's and couldnt tell any difference.I thought they were nice as the gennies but I'm not a Sting-Ray expert.

Good Point

Those repop 1998-1999 were razor edge..Bad idea durning the reproduction process..Those fenders were a lot lighter too compared to "originals"..Good enhancement for 68 krates though...

Keep in mind that the ropops from the reissue Krates were razor edge fenders...

Back