When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Mail Cycle Truck

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

J-Shooter

On Training Wheels
Hey guys, new member here. I have too many old Italian and Soviet track bikes, and also a couple Schwinn's and Worksmans. Probably my favorite bike is this Cycle Truck. I bought it several years ago, and it spent much of it's life delivering mail in Debary, FL. It has a bunch of weird little details from years of cobbling and repairs. At some point, a new BB shell was welded in, and part of the downtube was replaced.

I've been riding it as-is since I got it, but I think it's time to do some work. I'll probably replace all the ball bearings and give everything a good cleaning. What would you guys recommend as far as preserving paint/patina?

I've done evaporust dip tanks in the past, but I would never do it on a bike like this. I've also done the WD-40/scotchbrite method on crusty 50s Schwinn's with good results. On some of my old track bikes, I've had amazing results with just wax and a little elbow grease. I'm not a huge fan of applying a clear-coat over a patina.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I think this is probably my favorite/coolest bike and I don't want to screw it up. How can I keep this thing in one piece for maybe another 60 years?

Thanks!
PXL_20220115_215314185.jpg
PXL_20220115_215321928.jpg
PXL_20220115_215352390.jpg
PXL_20220115_215340644.jpg
PXL_20220115_215406752.jpg
PXL_20220115_215418656.jpg

For preserving the finish I would use BLO.
There are some here that don't like using boiled linseed oil but some do. I've used it on multiple things over the years but I've never had a bike that rusty so never had the pleasure of coating one with BLO. What's nice about it is it's not totally permanent like a clear coat that will go bad and it's better than trying to wax something like that. Some say it's too shiny but that can be controlled somewhat during the application. And the sheen diminishes over time.

Broke Bastard has a fairly decent video on the subject. His Wife made him do it. 😂

Maybe try a polyurethane spray for wood. Comes in matte, semi gloss & gloss like clear spray paints. I liked the matte but a semi gloss would be a Decent little bit of sheen. Seemed to work Very Well on a modern day frame I stripped & used a combo of salt, vinegar & peroxide to rust to an amber brown color. Sits outside & hasn't changed At All

Hey guys, new member here. I have too many old Italian and Soviet track bikes, and also a couple Schwinn's and Worksmans. Probably my favorite bike is this Cycle Truck. I bought it several years ago, and it spent much of it's life delivering mail in Debary, FL. It has a bunch of weird little details from years of cobbling and repairs. At some point, a new BB shell was welded in, and part of the downtube was replaced.

I've been riding it as-is since I got it, but I think it's time to do some work. I'll probably replace all the ball bearings and give everything a good cleaning. What would you guys recommend as far as preserving paint/patina?

I've done evaporust dip tanks in the past, but I would never do it on a bike like this. I've also done the WD-40/scotchbrite method on crusty 50s Schwinn's with good results. On some of my old track bikes, I've had amazing results with just wax and a little elbow grease. I'm not a huge fan of applying a clear-coat over a patina.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes? I think this is probably my favorite/coolest bike and I don't want to screw it up. How can I keep this thing in one piece for maybe another 60 years?

Thanks!
View attachment 1549652View attachment 1549654View attachment 1549655View attachment 1549656View attachment 1549658View attachment 1549659
I love a crusty CT , here is mine when I found it

Screenshot_20220119-091210.png

Thanks!
View attachment 1549652View attachment 1549654View attachment 1549655View attachment 1549656View attachment 1549658View attachment 1549659
That is one sweet cycle truck!

Thanks for the compliments, and it's great to see some pics of the other well-loved Cycle Trucks out there! The air mail sign is especially cool. I'll look into the BLO. I just don't want to see her rust away into a pile of dust, lol.

I'll post some pics of the track bikes in the international bikes forum, tying up some loose ends on an old HVZ right now.

Back