When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

22 to 35 lbs? Who?

-
Yup me too, been filling up my tires to where it feels right. All depending on the conditions of the road or how I feel on any given day. Sometimes cruising I might air them soft others, good and hard and that's both, road bikes with higher pressure and ballooners; never had any problems since I was a kid. That is, not until I had a like new set of Schwinn Typhoon cord from a 1998 ballooner. IDK but about 3-4 days later, sitting in my garage with all my other bikes, one just popped. It blew right through the cheap a. cord and ripped the tread rubber about 1-1/2 inch across, complete trash. I'd trust a Kenda before a modern Schwinn tire now. Hell, the cord on the Schwinn looks like waxed paper or cardboard too.
Disclaimer: Although my garage is completely drywalled, it can get awfully hot in there. That's the only reason I guess it could have popped. Albeit, never had one but that, blow on me, in the many years I've lived here. I been a little careful on Cheap a. modern Schwinn tires since.
Sounds like the Coker made tire, had the exact same thing happen in 98 or 99ish. Was working in Dad's upholstery shop when "the shot was fired." Lol It took us 15 minutes to figure out where the sound had come from. Looked over at the row of bikes and about the 3rd one in was sitting a little lower than usual. Sure enough, 2 days after the tire was installed, the cord ripped wide open, diagonal from top of the bead to the white to black seam. I've valued my original 50s and 60s rubber ever since. A friend of mine just had an older restoration job Phantom do the same thing not too long ago....we're pretty sure they were Coker tires too.

Sounds like the Coker made tire, had the exact same thing happen in 98 or 99ish. Was working in Dad's upholstery shop when "the shot was fired." Lol It took us 15 minutes to figure out where the sound had come from. Looked over at the row of bikes and about the 3rd one in was sitting a little lower than usual. Sure enough, 2 days after the tire was installed, the cord ripped wide open, diagonal from top of the bead to the white to black seam. I've valued my original 50s and 60s rubber ever since. A friend of mine just had an older restoration job Phantom do the same thing not too long ago....we're pretty sure they were Coker tires too.

Funny, I was going to mention that. I heard mine in bedroom next to garage; 'Pop!' Waited a minute for another sound and took a quick look. Days, maybe a week later, I saw the tire and the cords sticking out, then, remembered that 'shot'. Urgh.

Last edited:
I would like to know if there is anyone who runs their tires at 22lbs. I understand these bikes were made for teenage kids and most weighed less then some of our collector friends.
When I was that skinny teenage kid on a ballooner, I never ran 22lbs on purpose. and marveled at the fact that the writing on the tire sidewall would even suggest it. I always ran at least 35lbs, and probably was cheating at least half the time and running 40 or 45lbs. 22lbs would be like riding on flat tires.

people worry too much about old tires. the Typhoon Cords on my B-6 are from the 60's with cracks and wear . I have never rode the bike without full pressure, it was my main vintage rider back in the 80's. sitting on a flat tire will hurt vintage tires more than full pressure.

I would say the average speed on these old bike is 10 mph. I have no fear of injury or death from a blowout.

people worry too much about old tires. the Typhoon Cords on my B-6 are from the 60's with cracks and wear . I have never rode the bike without full pressure, it was my main vintage rider back in the 80's. sitting on a flat tire will hurt vintage tires more than full pressure.

I would say the average speed on these old bike is 10 mph. I have no fear of injury or death from a blowout.
It's just the long walk back to home base if you get adventurous no matter what tires you have. Turning a long ride into a long walk, especially in a heat wave kinda blows ( pun intended). Been there done that. It's sometimes a matter of pride as well wheeling back a sweet looking ride.

I was at a nearby ( luckily) vintage "cruise night" car show on one of my bikes several years. 1st the POP, then the walk of shame...ha!! Riding vintage is my passion. Cars, boats ( at one time, all with vintage outboards), motorcycles, bicycles.

Breakdown due to poor maintenance or pinching pennies ( not saying riding vintage rubber/and I do on occasion is being cheap) is a hard lesson to learn. One reason ( and probably the only one) why I bought a flip cell phone. Expect the unexpected without stressing. I carry an extra set of plugs and a wrench ( motorcycle)/some tools ( in a car/extra gas) for those non golden times.

Back