When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's time for the e bike discussion

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-a
~
%
OAuth Error:2001

z

RPower

Finally riding a big boys bike
I am writing my thoughts as a full fledge antique Motobike enthusiast doing a museum restore on an old Shelby. However, I got into this building custom electric bikes for someone and built one that I ride when I feel really lazy, want to try out new products or have super high winds. I'll eventually decommission the old Shelby I ride and release it back into the wild as a mostly original bike. The red Westfield is a custom for a dude who bailed but I'll finish it up at some point. My issue is that every time someone straps some loud, stinky 2 stroke on an old bike or presents a Whizzer the crowd goes wild. Sold the chrome Rex and my wife is deciding between the Schwinn and a custom Monark Super Deluxe I am finishing - a bike with Nuvinci hub that I can't wait to try out. Though I don't spend much time on the electrics, mostly riding my mountain bike and an old Hawthorne Flyer, I think it is time to consider electric restomods and crusty motorbikes with electric motors as viable options for enthusiasts who need extra boost (old bikes are heavy) and/or want to use them for transportation. After all, they are Motobikes (OK, not the Schwinn) and they are motorized...... comments?

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_1790.jpg

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_1536.jpg

Personally I prefer to pedal my bikes. If I want motorized two-wheel transportation I'll fire up one of the HDs! V/r Shawn
So far the count appears to be 4 for and 1 against but its early. Though I can agree with your argument on most levels, there is (and was) a segment of the population who could not afford motorcycles (of course old HDs are a dime a dozen now, so who knew lol) and chose to put motors on their bicycles. Do you disagree/disapprove of all motorized bicycles? Your opinion is widely respected in this field, so it matters as I navigate through it. Thanks!! Personally, I mostly ride mountain bikes, non motorized 20s and 30s bikes and with noted exceptions, the Shelby e bike.

I might prefer adding a motor to a less-classic 1990's beach cruiser (e.g. GT Dyno), or to an industrial bike (e.g., Worksman), or a semi-MTB hybird(?).

So, if the originally stated question is about enthusiasm; I guess my answer is, it depends; (not yet having seen, or even investigated prices).

If the question morphs into whether or not an electric motor addition is a good business sales model, then I have no idea.

Last edited:
Back