When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take it off any sweet jumps ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I remember Russell's, I grew up in Downey
I refuse to grow up and remember Russell's as well.

Not the 1970's, but still a Schwinn. 1991 or so in the Uwharries in North Carolina on my 1986 Sierra.

DSCN4643.JPG

Wow! That's brazen hard core. Only tennis shoes and gym shorts.
Yep, that's how I used to roll too. The more scars you've got, (my daddy used to say) the more intriguing to the ladies.
Some of us started early :) There were times I was a walking raspberry, scraped up and limping.
I still won't wear a bicycle helmet or special clothing unless its required.
And I'll still take the rough road....but mostly sitting on a spring seat.

Wow! That's brazen hard core. Only tennis shoes and gym shorts.
It was hot and humid AF that day. Gym shorts were what I had, though nowdays I just wear Carhartt shorts (usually B144). I still wear sneakers to ride in most of the time. Gloves when in the dirt anymore and Mechanix Wear when doing that. Also, I did not own a bicycle helmet until the mid 90's or so. I wear a skidlid when the limits are going to be pushed, otherwise it's just a funny hat to me.

No pictures (maybe a good thing) but in Westminster, CA there was a BMX track (can't remember the name) my best friend and I would ride to from our neighboring Cypress. One day in about 1980 we were pedaling laps around the track, building confidence on the bikes we brought that day. At the beginning of the track was the standard downhill portion, and when you make a full circuit and come around to the start there was the huge flat-top jump where you can air it out and land on the downhill ski-jump style.

My friend Mike was riding his full-fendered post war Schwinn B6, and he aired it out max speed, springer and all. In mid air his front rim flew off, and I will never forget how his forks touched first and dug in quite splendidly, launching his whole being over the bars. He and bike tumbled a bit and came to a stop, as did everyone else within 50 feet. Helmet? Nope. Pads? No. He was OK except for some nice raspberries, the bike not so much. Forks wasted, bent frame, "W" shaped front fender. I believe he hobbled the bike together and I rode him some of the way back on my handlebars with him holding the bike which only worked for about 100 yards. We walked the rest of the way home a little wiser. Klunkers from now on if on the trail or track, and give your bike the once-over with a wrench before flight.

No pictures (maybe a good thing) but in Westminster, CA there was a BMX track (can't remember the name) my best friend and I would ride to from our neighboring Cypress. One day in about 1980 we were pedaling laps around the track, building confidence on the bikes we brought that day. At the beginning of the track was the standard downhill portion, and when you make a full circuit and come around to the start there was the huge flat-top jump where you can air it out and land on the downhill ski-jump style.

My friend Mike was riding his full-fendered post war Schwinn B6, and he aired it out max speed, springer and all. In mid air his front rim flew off, and I will never forget how his forks touched first and dug in quite splendidly, launching his whole being over the bars. He and bike tumbled a bit and came to a stop, as did everyone else within 50 feet. Helmet? Nope. Pads? No. He was OK except for some nice raspberries, the bike not so much. Forks wasted, bent frame, "W" shaped front fender. I believe he hobbled the bike together and I rode him some of the way back on my handlebars with him holding the bike which only worked for about 100 yards. We walked the rest of the way home a little wiser. Klunkers from now on if on the trail or track, and give your bike the once-over with a wrench before flight.
Is that bike still behind the garage?

Back