When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Take it off any sweet jumps ?

-
Is that bike still behind the garage?
Negative, but months later he replaced it with 2 Schwinn DX's from a McDonnel Douglas (Long Beach) auction. They were going to renew their fleet with Workman's. I think they had a couple of auctions until all of their Schwinns were gone.

No pictures (maybe a good thing) but in Westminster, CA there was a BMX track (can't remember the name) my best friend and I would ride to from our neighboring Cypress. One day in about 1980 we were pedaling laps around the track, building confidence on the bikes we brought that day. At the beginning of the track was the standard downhill portion, and when you make a full circuit and come around to the start there was the huge flat-top jump where you can air it out and land on the downhill ski-jump style.

My friend Mike was riding his full-fendered post war Schwinn B6, and he aired it out max speed, springer and all. In mid air his front rim flew off, and I will never forget how his forks touched first and dug in quite splendidly, launching his whole being over the bars. He and bike tumbled a bit and came to a stop, as did everyone else within 50 feet. Helmet? Nope. Pads? No. He was OK except for some nice raspberries, the bike not so much. Forks wasted, bent frame, "W" shaped front fender. I believe he hobbled the bike together and I rode him some of the way back on my handlebars with him holding the bike which only worked for about 100 yards. We walked the rest of the way home a little wiser. Klunkers from now on if on the trail or track, and give your bike the once-over with a wrench before flight.
I have a similar story. When we were young, haha,
A friend was riding a wheelie on his stingray, the front wheel fell off. He planted the forks into the ground and went flying face first into the ground. Broke off his two front teeth. He wanted to try and glue them back into place 😂

Oh, if we only had cellphone cameras back in the 60's, we would set up a ramp off a picknic bench and hit it with our StingRays but really wish I had pics of my dads 55 Spitfire ( my cousin bought it new at Pioneer bike shop, Norwalk Ca. ), we would send it off ( ghostride ) as fast as we could and see who could make it go farther/higher, I still have the bike and have always said I'm responsible for 99% of the scratched/dents, people still aren't you going to fix the dents? and I say no, I put them there!, didn't start jumping it till years later at HB pier, and somebody has pic's of that somewhere. pics of the Spitfire today, look at the back fender ( pretty much all the dents and scratches! ), all me 55 yrs ago!, oh, one time in the 70's I caught the rear fender on a big chain I was jumping over at HB pier ( had a regular neck & longhorn bars ), they put the ships anchor chain to stop us from jumping but gave us more to jump!😆
1645738565738.png

Last edited:
No pictures (maybe a good thing) but in Westminster, CA there was a BMX track (can't remember the name) my best friend and I would ride to from our neighboring Cypress.
I got kicked out of Cypress High twice while barely attending there in 1980/81. First time landed me at Kennedy in La Palma and second got me a one-way ticket to Gilbert West in Buena Park. Gilbert West neccessitated a commute on the Kool Lemon Yellow Varsity I had. My HS diploma from Gilbert was signed by Principal Jerry Kill (who was VP at Oxford Jr High when I went there). My AUHSD transcript is hilarious.

In 2009 or so a character from HB I rode bikes with called Cypress "The most boring city in Orange County." It wasn't too bad being a kid on a bike there in the 60's and 70's.

No but my neighbor raced a 1971 125 CC and we used to be his pit crew. We used to go MX racing with him and that is why/how we started BMX in and around 1972 here in our area of KC. He went on to race Maicos. Now, he has a collection of Pentosn and Maicos and other MX bikes from the 1970s and 80s. Tom

I liked jumping ramps with my Schwinn Spitfire. I would ride as fast as I could on our flat gravel driveway and then hit the barn door ramps, which were set six feet apart. The handlebars were twisted downward from many hard landings. That Schwinn took a beating, but I decided to stop jumping ramps with it when I noticed that the left seat stay tube was starting to split out. My Dad never encouraged me to jump ramps with my bike, but he didn't say not to either. He really didn't say much about it but took this picture of me with color slide film in 1971 when I was in the 6th grade. This was the only bike I had for most of my childhood, up until I was 17 years old. I didn't realize how cool I was at the time, riding a single speed on gravel roads.

Schwinn Spitfire.jpg

Back