When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Those Original Krates!

-
This bike is almost identical to the one I built around 2012 to make a 1,000,000th Schwinn built tribute, if it would've been the new Pea Picker model instead of an Orange Krate!

I sold it around 2015 when I lost my building for my planned museum. The owner of the property went bankrupt and lost the contract for deed and I had no time to move. I sold about 2000 bikes to a guy from Mahomet. He loaded 3 trailers and trucks full not counting the really cool bikes like the Pea Picker.

The 1968 accessory seat was what caught my eye. Hard to find that seat with the correct transparent green stripe, just like it is to find the 1968 Apple Krate seat with the correct transparent red stripe. I have the replacement cover to recover mine, it was a factory defect with some irregularity to the color but I didn't care. I was just happy to get one!.

My original 1968 Apple Krate looks really bad, the paint is evaporating away as we speak. It was my brother's bike, my mom found it on the curb in our old hometown about 25 miles from where they lived then. She took it home for me to get but my little brother, who was 9 at the time wanted it so bad she gave it to him. Oh, the days when you could find a Krate bike on the curb!

In 2012 he gave it to me, and I helped him build a custom Grape Krate using a 26" frame we spread the rear open on to fit an OCC 20x4-1/4" rear wheel. It has front and rear disc brakes. He still has it in his shed waiting on the seat and sissybar. I am bending a custom stainless steel 5' sissy bar with a shock kit for him this year.
I repainted the Apple Krate, but I didn't use the correct primer. Since the paint went south I will be doing it again, maybe this year.

Since it lost its paint and has a replacement seat from a 1999 Apple Krate I wasn't sure it would qualify to be on this thread. If it does I can pull it out and take a photo. If not, I will start a thread on the restore when I get to it.
Rob

Krates

72A3428E-E25B-4EC9-BD67-06C41B8C03D9.jpeg

Hey Bob, really NICCCE Peeler bike.. So what does C.C.M stand for any way? Thanks for sharing.. RideOnn.. Razin..
Dang....Sorry I missed this Mark. I guess I'm too scattered or forget to check the follow box. Yeah, that Peeler was sweet. Bought from a Caber. C.C.M. stands for Canadian Cycle and Motor Company.

Welcome to Vintage CCM​

This site is dedicated to the Canada Cycle & Motor Co. Ltd. From its birth in 1899 until its eventual demise in 1983, it was the quintessential Canadian company. For years growing up in Canada meant riding its bikes in summer and wearing its skates in winter. Its logo was as much a part of the Canadian psyche as the seasons themselves. Unfortunately, for far too long too little has been known about the company, its history and its products.

Back