When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for more info on a possible Elgin bicycle

-

Bike from the Dead

I live for the CABE
Earlier on this Wednesday, my dad was at a local fire museum, and I guess they had some stuff in storage they didn't want/need anymore, so they offered to just give him whatever he wanted out of what was there. Among the stuff he took home with him was a bike. He had no idea what kind of bike it was (he's more into gas and oil memorabilia, along with classic cars,) so when he showed me a couple pics of it on his phone, I was blown away by what he obtained! I can tell that at least the fenders, chain guard, kickstand, and pedals aren't original to the bike, but the Elgin does seem to have the original wheels, chainring, seat post, truss rods and fork on it. I don't know if the seat, handlebars and handlebar stem are original to the bike, but they do look fairly old all things considered. I don't know if the paint is original, but it's very old and flaking off the frame. Amazingly, there's hardly any rust on this bike! It's practically just bare steel poking through the paint, and even the wheels look remarkably clean for their age! Even the tires, which have cracked in spots from sitting flat for years, still feel surprisingly soft in most places. This bike had to have been kept indoors for most of its life to be in this good of shape!

What we need help with on this bike is figuring out the year, manufacturer, what parts are original vs. what isn't, and how much it's worth.

This first batch of photos is in "as found" condition, with all the original dust left undisturbed aside from where it's been handled.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_1-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_2-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_3-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_4-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_5-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_6-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_7-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_8-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_9-jpg.jpg

The head badge is missing, but I can just barely see where the head badge rivets would've gone. It looks like that area was painted over, so I can't tell if the paint's original, or an old repaint from decades ago.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_10-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_11-jpg.jpg

Maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but it looks like the fork is bent back just a little. I cropped the picture below so the front of the headset is angled completely even with the sides of the picture, and the fork does appear bent back slightly. I think I could bend them back to the right angle, though, or at least get them close.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_12-jpg.jpg

One more detail I'm skeptical of: I don't know if this is the result of manufacturing, or frame damage, but there's a slight dip at the front of the top tube just before it meets the headset. It doesn't look too bad, but I don't know. I'm not an expert on Elgins, as I've never been able to get my hands on one before.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_13-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_14-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_15-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_16-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_17-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_18-jpg.jpg

For those who can't read it, the seat says "Lobdell Emery Made in U.S.A."
bftd_ff3922_elgin_19-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_20-jpg.jpg

More pictures coming up next!

After a quick dusting, I could really tell just how well this bike could clean up... aside from the paint. Some of it flaked off with almost no pressure from wiping the dust off. Still, just a quick dusting, and this bike wants to shine!
bftd_ff3922_elgin_21-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_22-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_23-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_24-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_25-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_26-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_27-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_28-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_29-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_30-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_31-jpg.jpg

The kickstand's not right for this bike, I don't think, but it is pretty interesting. Anybody know what kind it's supposed to be?
bftd_ff3922_elgin_32-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_33-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_34-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_35-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_36-jpg.jpg

Anyone know what's up with the "S" stamped onto the fork and bottom bracket?
bftd_ff3922_elgin_37-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_38-jpg.jpg

There's a date, August 16th of 2001, marked on the seat post. I need to find out what the significance of that date means. Maybe that's when the fire museum acquired this bike?
bftd_ff3922_elgin_39-jpg.jpg

I'm having a hard time reading the stamping under the bottom bracket. Looks like they didn't stamp it on right, based on how they seemed to have stamped it more than once. It looks like it's supposed to read "MOS T95504," but I'm not sure. Also, what's up with all the dots at the top?
bftd_ff3922_elgin_40-jpg.jpg

The undersides of the fenders aren't even that rusty. I'm kind of impressed.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_41-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_42-jpg.jpg

Even though the tires have hardened somewhat, they're honestly not in too bad of shape. If I just wanted to put them on a display bike, they'd probably look alright... outside of a few sidewall cracks, that is.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_43-jpg.jpg

bftd_ff3922_elgin_44-jpg.jpg

Seat's not too bad underneath either.
bftd_ff3922_elgin_45-jpg.jpg

Back