When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identify first old bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks for the help. definitely matches the Colson. I looked closer at the serial number and sure enough there was a I after the 8. I’ll have to do some research on Colson. I never heard of them. Any more pics of that yellow one? That looks really nice. Are parts for these obtainable? Some I see have a sweetheart chainring on them. I thought that was a schwinn piece.

Difference between LWB and standard.

Is the long wheelbase supposed to have a smoother ride? I’m more into schwinn 10 speeds and the touring bikes have longer wheelbases. I can’t tell if my fenders are correct or not. Some pictures have taller fenders and some have thinner ones.

Is the long wheelbase supposed to have a smoother ride? I’m more into schwinn 10 speeds and the touring bikes have longer wheelbases. I can’t tell if my fenders are correct or not. Some pictures have taller fenders and some have thinner ones.
It's more of an adult sized ballooner. Most ballooner frames tend to be 18" tall(measured from the center of the crank to the top of the seat tube). These are 20.5" tall and the wheelbase is 2" longer than a standard Colson frame. In regards to fenders, most came equipped with shallow fenders. Some with deeper. Here are a few other 36-37 Colsons to help you compare.

Last edited:
Is the long wheelbase supposed to have a smoother ride?
The bicycles were not actually sold as BLW’s, but as taller frames of the streamlining era. Along with the taller frame, and keeping with the streamlined geometry, some other frame dimensions just happened to change to suit.

In geometry, when one increases the length of one of the sides of a triangle, the lengths of the other sides must also increase, or else the streamlined angles will be off, (curves no fit).

As others indicate, taller framed kids bicycle toys were supposed to be taller.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. definitely matches the Colson. I looked closer at the serial number and sure enough there was a I after the 8. I’ll have to do some research on Colson. I never heard of them. Any more pics of that yellow one? That looks really nice. Are parts for these obtainable? Some I see have a sweetheart chainring on them. I thought that was a schwinn piece.
Maybe..... 😎

Some I see have a sweetheart chainring on them. I thought that was a schwinn piece.

A closer look is often needed. It's probably a different sweetheart. A good place to start looking is the hole where the crank drive pin goes, and all the other possible locations for that hole. You will probably start to see differences there, and in other hole shapes too.

Also always pay attention to whether it is 1/2" or 1" pitch. All the Schwinn sweethearts are 1" pitch, and so it this Colson, so it wont help in this case, but sometimes it does.

Thanks again for all the information. I really like the look of that yellow one. I see most of the ones pictured have a chain guard on them but the 1936 catalog shows it without one. I think I read it was also sold as goodyears or firestones or something. Is this the case?
I also read that these are pretty common as a lot were made. I have been watching marketplace and craigslist around me daily for several years and don’t recall seeing many prewar bicycle. Maybe my location but i’m just outside of Pittsburgh and see a good variety of bikes.

Back