When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let’s see some late 70’s/early 80’s Cruisers and Spitfires

-
Hi.

I picked up a 79 Spitfire this weekend off CL from a guy that had a garage full of old Schwinn bikes and parts. It's been repainted and the stickers are vinyl, but the bike rides well and is in pretty good condition. I'm planning to peel off the vinyl stickers and replace them with some water transfer stickers I ordered off eBay.

Monosnap_2022-03-27_13-47-56.png

I'd also like to pick up a different badge. The one that is on it has been sprayed silver with blue touch up paint on the letters. It's also stamped 2297, which I think makes it a 1987 badge?

Anyway, I noticed my 66 Racer does not have Chicago on the badge while my 70 Twin does:

Monosnap_2022-03-27_13-21-50.png

Going through this thread, I was trying to figure out what the correct badge would be for my 79 and based on other blue Spitfires in this thread, a white badge with black letters looks like it would be the one to get.

In 79, did all badges include "Chicago"? I'm looking on eBay and I see both. I'm more concerned with getting the correct badge than I am with getting one in perfect condition.

Also...I want to try and dull the paint a bit. The guy did a good job spraying it but it's too "new" looking if that makes sense. I was thinking of trying to knock some of the shine off with some 0000 steel wool. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

I was a teen in the 80s and grew up in the South Bay (Redondo & Hermosa). We always referred to this bike as the "Strand Cruiser" and it's really cool seeing the South Bay photos in this thread. As a kid, my two favorite bike shops were Aviation Cyclery and Dad's Bike Barn.

Cheers,
Anthony

Hi.

I picked up a 79 Spitfire this weekend off CL from a guy that had a garage full of old Schwinn bikes and parts. It's been repainted and the stickers are vinyl, but the bike rides well and is in pretty good condition. I'm planning to peel off the vinyl stickers and replace them with some water transfer stickers I ordered off eBay.

View attachment 1596444

I'd also like to pick up a different badge. The one that is on it has been sprayed silver with blue touch up paint on the letters. It's also stamped 2297, which I think makes it a 1987 badge?

Anyway, I noticed my 66 Racer does not have Chicago on the badge while my 70 Twin does:

View attachment 1596445

Going through this thread, I was trying to figure out what the correct badge would be for my 79 and based on other blue Spitfires in this thread, a white badge with black letters looks like it would be the one to get.

In 79, did all badges include "Chicago"? I'm looking on eBay and I see both. I'm more concerned with getting the correct badge than I am with getting one in perfect condition.

Also...I want to try and dull the paint a bit. The guy did a good job spraying it but it's too "new" looking if that makes sense. I was thinking of trying to knock some of the shine off with some 0000 steel wool. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?

I was a teen in the 80s and grew up in the South Bay (Redondo & Hermosa). We always referred to this bike as the "Strand Cruiser" and it's really cool seeing the South Bay photos in this thread. As a kid, my two favorite bike shops were Aviation Cyclery and Dad's Bike Barn.

Cheers,
Anthony
I did not know that, but, I think you would be right, that's an 1987 badge. A 79 badge, 80 and at least 81 that I know of, looking at the face; the numbers are stamped on the left side of Schwinn letters with Chicago logo, while yours is on the right without Chicago.

Your right sided Julian date code numbers and previously; before this change from left sided numbers in the 70 and 80's, are also centered beside the Schwinn letters next to the I. , The later, Plastic 1990's too 2001 or 2, the date code is on the right, like yours,, but now at the lower portion of Schwinn letters; next to the N, without Chicago logo as well.

Last edited:
Hi.

View attachment 1596444

View attachment 1596445

Cheers,
Anthony
Welcome to the CABE from another South Bay native! I also have a ‘79 Spitfire and they all had the Chicago on the badge with the Julian code. Your badge should show XXX9 to be from the 1979 run. To be sure of the year, supply the serial number from the head tube and the experts here will be able to date it. Ride it often!

Last edited:
Welcome to the CABE from another South Bay native! I also have a ‘79 Spitfire. They all had the Chicago on the badge and the Julian code. Your badge should show XXX9 to be from the 1979 run. To be sure of the year, supply the serial number from the head tube and the experts here will be able to date it. Ride it often!

Rad! I moved to North County OC last year and really miss cruising the Strand. The bike path down here, at least from Bolsa to Huntington, reminds me of riding from El Segundo to Playa Del Rey.

I looked up the Spitfire serial number on BikeHistory.org and it came back as being from June '79. I'll keep an eye out for a Chicago badge stamped 1529 through 1819. Or any XXX9 if I can't find a June badge.

I've found quite a few 80s badges and also unstamped Chicago badges on eBay but nothing from 79. The closest 70s badge I've found is 1727.

My Spitfire’s date stamp is 1579 - The blue one. 😎
Rad! I moved to North County OC last year and really miss cruising the Strand. The bike path down here, at least from Bolsa to Huntington, reminds me of riding from El Segundo to Playa Del Rey.

I looked up the Spitfire serial number on BikeHistory.org and it came back as being from June '79. I'll keep an eye out for a Chicago badge stamped 1529 through 1819. Or any XXX9 if I can't find a June badge.

I've found quite a few 80s badges and also unstamped Chicago badges on eBay but nothing from 79. The closest 70s badge I've found is 1727.

5E5A8F89-A7BA-43C9-BFEC-05CA4CE8A394.jpeg

If you're trying to make it realistic shoot for a month or two past june. And the numbers should be alongside the "I"
Good to know. I'll expand the range to Jul/Aug...1829 - 2439. I did find a 2889 (Oct) badge but it was stripped of all paint.

@SoBayRon if your badge is 1579, then your serial number must translate to April or May of 79?

Good to know. I'll expand the range to Jul/Aug...1829 - 2439. I did find a 2889 (Oct) badge but it was stripped of all paint.

@SoBayRon if your badge is 1579, then your serial number must translate to April or May of 79?

What was your serial number?

Here are the dates on my 79 Spit 5
Frame Serial Number CQ577905 March 1979
Head Badge # Build Date 1229 May 2, 1979

Last edited:
What was your serial number?

Here are the dates on my 79 Spit 5
Frame Serial Number CQ577905 March 1979
Head Badge # Build Date 1229 May 2, 1979

Frame serial number is FQ511892. I found a badge stamped #1499 on eBay. I'm thinking about ordering it as It's in decent shape, even though it predates the frame stamping.

If there's no stamp on a badge, does that mean it's considered a "spare part" and was not shipped with a bike? Or, are there just a lot of badges out there that were on bikes but never stamped (pre-70s/80s)?

Back