When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Scrambler with odd serial number. Promotional bike?

-

hcdsign

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good evening,
I have been sitting on this Schwinn Scrambler for a couple of years. Ive tried to do some research, however Im coming up empty. The bike in question appears to be a 1978 MAG Scrambler, which is the first year of the straight tube BMX frame (not the Stingray). Still has blade forks, and mounts for a chain guard. Also, the frame is NOT braced like the newer models.. Last but not least it has the original Skyway mags with the small hubs & Scrambler tires. It all appears to be correct other than the Schwinn headbadge, and embossed road bike seat that I added

The serial number on the headtube reads as 773868. Usually Schwinn has a 2 letter prefix for dating, this frame does not... Are the first two digits the year 77 = 1977? Also all of the parts on the bike have cast dates of 77 as well. I know that early 1978 bikes could easily have 1977 cast parts.

The gal I got it from said that her brother got it for Christmas of 77 or 78, however could not pinpoint which year. She did say that when they went to pick it out in November of that year (black friday shopping i assume), It was the only one in the Schwinn dealer show room, and the only one they were getting. Thus is why they picked that particular bike.

Is it a pre-production promotional bike sent to the dealers in limited supply??? Or just a run of the mill MAG Scrambler that was serial numbered wrong??? IDK, but Im hoping some of you Schwinn fanatics can school me on what this bike may be... Any help or leads would be truly appreciated!!

Thank you, Howie.

1649897010832.png

1649897128187.png

1649897185335.png

1649897223001.png

1649897272026.png

Good evening,
I have been sitting on this Schwinn Scrambler for a couple of years. Ive tried to do some research, however Im coming up empty. The bike in question appears to be a 1978 MAG Scrambler, which is the first year of the straight tube BMX frame (not the Stingray). Still has blade forks, and mounts for a chain guard. Also, the frame is NOT braced like the newer models.. Last but not least it has the original Skyway mags with the small hubs & Scrambler tires. It all appears to be correct other than the Schwinn headbadge, and embossed road bike seat that I added

The serial number on the headtube reads as 773868. Usually Schwinn has a 2 letter prefix for dating, this frame does not... Are the first two digits the year 77 = 1977? Also all of the parts on the bike have cast dates of 77 as well. I know that early 1978 bikes could easily have 1977 cast parts.

The gal I got it from said that her brother got it for Christmas of 77 or 78, however could not pinpoint which year. She did say that when they went to pick it out in November of that year (black friday shopping i assume), It was the only one in the Schwinn dealer show room, and the only one they were getting. Thus is why they picked that particular bike.

Is it a pre-production promotional bike sent to the dealers in limited supply??? Or just a run of the mill MAG Scrambler that was serial numbered wrong??? IDK, but Im hoping some of you Schwinn fanatics can school me on what this bike may be... Any help or leads would be truly appreciated!!

Thank you, Howie.

View attachment 1606441
View attachment 1606444
View attachment 1606445
View attachment 1606446
View attachment 1606448

What are the 4 numbers stamped into the head badge?

I see that is a welded frame and not Electro-Forged. It's possible that the welded and fillet brazed bikes were done in a different location. (Paramount shop?) I also see that the digits are in a slightly different location on the headtube than the EF bikes. Those were on the right side and wrapped around to the front. The sequence looks more like a Paramount serial too.

Sorry for being a dope, I thought you guys were looking for the frame serial number... The badge that is on the bike now is NOT original. I have a buddy that has several scrap frames so, we found a badge dated from the first 3rd of 1977. But again this is NOT the original badge!!!

Pretty unique serial number. I would have to believe that SN stamping is intentional and not a mis-stamp. Any others out there that have the same YOM for the first two digits of the serial?

Sorry for being a dope, I thought you guys were looking for the frame serial number... The badge that is on the bike now is NOT original. I have a buddy that has several scrap frames so, we found a badge dated from the first 3rd of 1977. But again this is NOT the original badge!!!

Well without the original head badge with the date code, you are pretty much restricted to dating the bike with the original parts that are on it, and from the catalog pics.

Back