When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tutorial Prewar Schwinn rack reflectors

-
although i do not agree with your assessment of the cat eye reflector not having the nickeled bezel-think about it this way.....the year is 1936......'the design
engineer approaches frank schwinn and asks him his opinion of which reflector should we put on the new 1936 autocycle-(the bike bearing his name)? see picture below to help you out! i am not even gonna answer that because if you are a true prewar schwinn aficionado-the answer is obvious! as for 'never tampered with'! unless the item has been in your possession for the last 80 years its hard to make that statement-sounds like a 'salesmanship' gimmick! parts get replaced over time-there is no shame in that. but keeping it straight-historically is getting blurred over time. saying the schwinn factory did strange things with their bikes-i don't agree. schwinn was in the business of building bikes-all sales(99.9+%) went thru chicago cycle supply-who distributed and 'modified' from original factory specs!

View attachment 1624938
LOL @cyclonecoaster.com FRANK which one did you really pick???

Believe what you want. I believe with great certainty that this one on my 1939, that came from the original owner 2 years ago, is correct. It is exactly the same as the one on my blue 1937 Deluxe A/C that I got from the original owner in 1987.

for the 'record' ....yep...no chrome bezels on the Schwinn version of those reflectors...
...nicer touch for sure...just not a Schwinn thang. Frank decided to save the 4cents by
opting out of that additional bling factor

has that rack been replated? i too have seen many 'original' but different reflectors on these racks -from 'original owners' too! i am merely pointing out what the schwinn catalog says so we have some sort of guidance and not a free-for-all use whatever you want! you are certainly not the first or will be the last to challenge my somewhat rigid thinking!

Last edited:
for the 'record' ....yep...no chrome bezels on the Schwinn version of those reflectors...
...nicer touch for sure...just not a Schwinn thang. Frank decided to save the 4cents by
opting out of that additional bling factor

'for the record'.....impressive! i can't tell you the number of "_________" i have come back with irrefutable evidence on a particular topic and put it in their face-instead of an apology or at least admit an error had been made they come back with...'so what'.

has that rack been replated? i too have seen many 'original' but different reflectors on these racks -from 'original owners' too! i am merely pointing out what the schwinn catalog says so we have some sort of guidance and not a free-for-all use whatever you want! you are certainly not the first or will be the last to challenge my somewhat rigid thinking!
No, nothing has been replated, repainted or altered…on either bike. Can’t get photo of the ‘37 right now. I’m moving and it went into deep storage. I don’t know enough to say chrome was never used, but it wasn’t used on either of mine.

Back