When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prewar blue paint

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PlasticNerd

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
So I have found that the dark blue/ cobalt blue on all of my prewar motorbikes is all so different!!! I try to find matching parts and mate them to the same bike, but sometimes that’s impossible!! Today I found a duplicolor Ford Dark blue engine enamel that is nearly a match for a frame I have- it will be. Close enough after I do a little faux patina to it. It’s way darker than the cobalt I have that matches the garaged for 70 years models, which Aaron has matched nicely!! This is a crappy paint job, but just to show the color it works- I sprayed it over a fender that has been knocking around in primer for years- didn’t use any prep just sprayed it on(and it blistered of course!). I will get better pics up when the other parts are done. Just a little tip for you guys. If you have any original blue paint items I’m always looking! Gary

Last edited:
Duplicolor is some of the best paint you can get out of a can.
Fortunately, their color palette is so deep, that you can almost always find a decent match.
I’ve found that their Santa Fe Tan and Wimbledon White, can be pretty good matches for the Ivory trim, depending on the many levels of degradation it has gone through.

Marty hits on why matches can be difficult-age and exposure. Another factor is that there wasn’t just one batch of paint. Particularly on Shelby’s I’ve seen some variance on the same bike and my Iver exhibits this as well. V/r Shawn

Duplicolor is some of the best paint you can get out of a can.
Fortunately, their color palette is so deep, that you can almost always find a decent match.
I’ve found that their Santa Fe Tan and Wimbledon White, can be pretty good matches for the Ivory trim, depending on the many levels of degradation it has gone through.
I found that rustoleum colonial red is a great match to prewar Schwinn red also!!

My attempt at a Schwinn blue color match. I recently restored a 1946 Schwinn tandem. I found a "cobalt-ish" darker blue under the head badge. I used Rust Oleum Cobalt Blue rattle can over Red Oxide primer rattle can with decent results. After sandblasting the frame and epoxy. Hope this bit of info helps.

IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Back