When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using ads for accuracy

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jacob9795

I live for the CABE
Is it possible that some of these bikes were drawn first as an idea and then put into ads to generate interest? If there was enough interest from the public, then they would go and build the bike?

I really don't think anyone did that. So you have a new idea and then advertise it before any production? Nah, nope. Maybe the Bowden Spacelander but that was about it. Schwinn had an idea, then they patent it. The cantilever frame was introduced in 1938. In mid 1954 Schwinn's new "1955" middleweights were in the stores and on the streets. No big advertisements prior. Design something new, be first and only one to produce it before the competition even knows what's happening. If you snooze you lose. Make it and if it doesn't sell, discontinue it.

Yep it did happen and there are examples of unicorn ads out there. For the most part though the advertisements were pretty close. The part that messes some folks up though is the same as would be used for years even though the model had changed a bit. Do you have a specific example? V/r Shawn

I don’t have a bike example right now. I was watching that 1980s Tucker car movie and it showed the guy drawing the car first, putting it in an ad, and then building the car. That was the late 1940s, I was wondering if the same thing happened with some of these bikes. I think we would patent before handing out ads.
Thanks for the info/comments

Not sure if the artists may have also used the methods of "tracing" - tracing one year's artwork from previous year's drawing or the original tracings.

There might have been a golden age, when bicycle manufacturers had a design department, whose job it was to design new models; and the new models might have first taken the form of drawings or sketches.
Original designs likely get changed, after review by the manufacturing or production department, for things like producibility.

But the concept drawings probably were not the same as the advertisement artwork; and likely that the artists had an actual article of some kind (prototype or better) to look at.

Last edited:
Schwinn 8-speed traveler was in an ad, but never existed (never produced). The traveler existed but only in a 3-speed version. I am assuming with the launch of the continental and varsity in 8-speed versions in 1960 they were thinking the traveler would have a version of it, but that didn't pan out it seems.

60trav801.jpg

No doubt about it.
Marketing 101
Create excitement for the coming model year.
Serial numbers mean nothing.
It’s all about the intended model year.
There’s no such thing as a 49 Phantom.
1950 was the mid century point.
Schwinn wanted something to create a buzz for the coming new year.
Sure, you’ll see ads for the Christmas season in 1949, and you’ll see production numbers in 1949, but the bike was a 1950 model.

When a new bike was being developed, the ads had to be produced ahead of time and can fail to show later design changes. At the end of this thread on the 1953 Flying Falcon, the promotional brochure shows chain stays curved to clear the adjusting screws for the rear axle. But sometime during development AMF decided to introduce drop-outs on this bike, so in spite of the brochure, I've never seen one of these with a rear fork.

Back