When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice for this 1948 Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The family could start out with a comprehensive Refurbishment verses a full-blown Restoration. But if their wishes are for it to look like it did when purchased and are willing to finance that wish, I see nothing wrong with that as long as the job is done right.

Last edited:
Also a vote for clean it up- don’t restore it! It’s just time and patience! I did this one in a couple weeks!

If this bike was purchased at an estate sale or a bike swap, I'd say restore it. The fact is the bike is already wearing the family history, complete with the recovered seat, mismatched screws holding the tank together and even the wire securing the brake arm. I'd be hard pressed to touch a thing on this bike. It's an heirloom as it sits! Of course, this is just my opinion.
Man. Well said. I take your point. I was taken by the homemade seat replacement with the plywood bottom. In my opinion, that is kind of the focal point. It's not great, but it speaks volumes.

Has anybody noticed the 52 tooth sweet heart sprocket! I don't think I've ever seen one? Interesting ?
Wow, very interesting. Can you explain more? Did those sprockets more often have the skip-tooth design? Thanks for the input

Wow! Whats your process? That's a beautiful result.
Completely disassemble, wash all painted parts. Soak chrome in evaporust for 2-12 hours, use polishing compound on painted parts very carefully staying away from pinstripes. Also I used some 0000 steel wool and wd40 on some of the paint, keeping away from stripes still. Then washed again and waxed w carnuba 😎

All the input so far is greatly appreciated!

That said, I don't have much hope for the original rims. They are deeply blistered with rust. I am thinking I would like to build new wheels around the original hubs. Any tips on finding similar age-appropriate hoops in better condition? Also would like to replace the tires, which obviously are not original. Owner says he remembers them being white walls.

Back