When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn tabbed washer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bloo

I live for the CABE
Once upon a time..... Schwinn had a tabbed washer they used on front axles. This is not an anti-dropout washer as sometimes seen on various department store makes, and it must have existed in the 70s if not quite a bit earlier.

There are 3 tabs on the washer. Two of them catch on the flats of the bearing cone, and the third catches in the fork slot below the axle. I assume this is for the right side bearing cone.

No, I don't have a picture, but if people really don't know what I am talking about, I will drag my 61 Speedster out of the shed and take the front wheel off.

What is it called? If I go advertising for one, what do I ask for?

I believe Schwinn just called it a front hub right lock washer, part #3545. Called a cone lock washer also.

1653446298210.png

Thank you! About what years were these used?

I have actually never had a bike with those. Even my new 1964 Varsity didn't come with one. It might be issued with certain types of front hubs. None seen on any of my Schwinn Script hubs but could have been tossed. They are mentioned in the 1962 parts catalog.

Bloo, I had some spares. Let me look and if so, you can have them. Update: Bloo, I went through all my stuff and I must have sent them off to the other guy.They came from an early to mid 70's large girls bike. An American made 27" 5 or ten speed I think. Sorry!

Last edited:
Vintage Schwinn front hub winged flange lock washers bicycle bike part

Found them. .EBAY. 14.00.

I overhauled a 1961 Schwinn Racer step through version and it had one on the right side. It had a Schwinn script front hub and had no cone locknut on the right, just the tabbed washer. The left side had a regular cone locknut I believe.

Back