When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Info needed - is this a Diamant Pista?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Here is the bike detailed and back together. I wet sanded the frame with 8K, compound polished it, and waxed the paint; cleaned and polished all the other parts; greased the headset and bottom bracket and reassembled. These Campy wheels spin like they are brand new, pretty amazing. A friend is sending me some vintage gum wall sew ups and it should be about done. I'd like to get a correct period type seat post and maybe a Brooks leather saddle.

I now believe the tri color band decals are Wastyn and that Bill's wife added the "Hat in the Ring" and head tube Schwinn decals. They will certainly remain as part of the cool history.

The blue bike is a 30's Oscar Wastyn Special and it's very similar to mine, same lugs and tri color decals.

-----

thanks for these updates

great to read you have been able to get it sorted

now that you have it all cleaned up and reassembled you could take it back to the gentleman you got it from so he could see it - probably a fond memory of his wife

you could ask him about the Diamant name

it just didn't come out the aether; there must be some reason it was in his memory...

there is likely to be a machine of this name in his memory, even if not in his physical possession

---

note that the head lugs of your machine and those of the blue example are not identical

the flares to accommodate the integral headset on your bicycle are noticeably squarish while those on the blue are quite rounded/smooth

-----

-----

thanks for these updates

great to read you have been able to get it sorted

now that you have it all cleaned up and reassembled you could take it back to the gentleman you got it from so he could see it - probably a fond memory of his wife

you could ask him about the Diamant name

it just didn't come out the aether; there must be some reason it was in his memory...

there is likely to be a machine of this name in his memory, even if not in his physical possession

---

note that the head lugs of your machine and those of the blue example are not identical

the flares to accommodate the integral headset on your bicycle are noticeably squarish while those on the blue are quite rounded/smooth

-----
Thanks Juvela, you've been awesome helping me determine what this is. Agree, the lugs are not identical, but the side slots are the same and they are both different from the keyhole style used on the Paramounts. The fork crown on mine is the same style used on the Paramounts though.

I already called the previous owner, he's not tech savy, I wanted to send him some pics, but he can't text. I'm planning to go visit him so he can see it again:)

I'll ask him about Diamant and Wastyn and see what might resonate.

I"m hoping Scott W can give me some more insight into the age of this bike.

What are the stampings in the center? Looks like a letter stamping and then B111

I wonder how many times that BB has been stamped over the years. 😃

View attachment 1635103
What you have circled is the word "BRITISH" and it also says "MADE" - these are both stamped in a curved pattern. In the middle of those stampings it's hard to make out but I can read what looks like CB or 8 then V followed by "STAN" on the right. Up top is either the letter H or I followed by 571, then what appears to be a double stamped 3 and U or 0.

Scott Wastyn indicated there was no rhyme or reason to any of the bottom bracket stampings, that you could have anyting you wanted including your name, birthdays, random numbers. It appears to be the case here other than British Made from the BB shell supplier.

I will take a pencil rub and see what comes out on paper from all of these stampings, but based on what Scott says, they won't really mean anything.

Only thing that's dated are the Campy locknuts at '58, but I'm thinking this frame is a bit older, just a hunch.

Last edited:
Here is the bike detailed and back together. I wet sanded the frame with 8K, compound polished it, and waxed the paint; cleaned and polished all the other parts; greased the headset and bottom bracket and reassembled. These Campy wheels spin like they are brand new, pretty amazing. A friend is sending me some vintage gum wall sew ups and it should be about done. I'd like to get a correct period type seat post and maybe a Brooks leather saddle.

I now believe the tri color band decals are Wastyn and that Bill's wife added the "Hat in the Ring" and head tube Schwinn decals. They will certainly remain as part of the cool history.

The blue bike is a 30's Oscar Wastyn Special and it's very similar to mine, same lugs and tri color decals. View attachment 1635058
View attachment 1635059

View attachment 1635060

View attachment 1635061

View attachment 1635062

View attachment 1635064
Being very interested in these old Schwinn frames, and the later models that also have the bands. I cant remember any Ive seen that had the bands facing any way other than white to white. Or any with bands on the fork. Notice the blue version in your last group of pics. White to White.
Just musing, and adding to the anomalies section.
Crazy it would have a British BB shell and Headset. And not just headset, Head. That type of headset is most often seen with British style clip stem steerers, which also makes everything a bit more complicated.
I have two British bikes with this style headset. One is an earlier floating race cup Brown and Wilkes, and one is a captured Brompton race cup like this one. Both came with a clip stem, but a swedge bolt stem works also.

There is no picture of it, but does your fork steerer tube have a "T" cut into the top threads area?
The way your headset bottom crown race sits up high, you can see that at one time there was a race seated on the crown head as is usual. Is everything just mocked up or is that the way it was? Even the four cup headsets on the British bikes have the lower race seated on the crown. Looks like something doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Back