When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake lever question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These reproduction Royal Enfield levers (they are made in chrome as well) pull the Sturmey Archer drum brakes without hitting the grips or fingers rather, and provide a good feel to the brake. But I have always adjusted the cable to 'feather resistance' but not something you'd want on a restoration.....
Kryn
Oh, and those are such cool rides!

20220517_125948.jpg

20220515_200643.jpg

Yes...for a 50's British Motorcycle...repros out of India.
Fit the build nicely....Thanks. Hope you sort out your lever/drum bake situation....
Kryn
i have a long pull lever from velo orange on it's way, and with everyone's advise on how to make adjustments, i should be on the road soon!

i have a long pull lever from velo orange on it's way, and with everyone's advise on how to make adjustments, i should be on the road soon!
From one 'Mad Scientist' to another, hope the new lever grabs enough brake for you. My '53 Monark pictured up there has drums front and rear so not as important for the rear to do as much stopping. In the future you could keep you're radar on for a drum front wheel?...seeing how with 5 speeds you'll be pushing 25 mph. Hey and maybe update us how it turns out. COOL RIDE !
Kryn

From one 'Mad Scientist' to another, hope the new lever grabs enough brake for you. My '53 Monark pictured up there has drums front and rear so not as important for the rear to do as much stopping. In the future you could keep you're radar on for a drum front wheel?...seeing how with 5 speeds you'll be pushing 25 mph. Hey and maybe update us how it turns out. COOL RIDE !
Kryn
i thought about a front drum brake, but not sure if those old fork blades will be up to the task. this bike will be a neighborhood and special event rider, so speed isn't going to be a thing for this old man, so i'm hoping the rear drum will be enough for my purposes. can you post a few more pics of your bike? i like the shifter! don

i thought about a front drum brake, but not sure if those old fork blades will be up to the task. this bike will be a neighborhood and special event rider, so speed isn't going to be a thing for this old man, so i'm hoping the rear drum will be enough for my purposes. can you post a few more pics of your bike? i like the shifter! don
- Yeah, I hear you about the fork strength. And you've already got those cool rims built up. I'm sure once you get a little more lever pulling distance it will suit the purposes fine. I've yet to ride this one more than 3 miles but I am on a hill so the dual brakes are welcome. I've put some images of this contraption up on a 'Custom Bikes' forum so hope I don't get scolded for postjng a few here? It's not for the purist, but I wanted it Rube Goldberg/Walter Mitty.....that's my excuse.
Oh, and the 3-speed shifter is a motor cycle timing advance lever ...works really well...similar cable stop to a modern gear changer.

20220515_200716.jpg

20220405_161948.jpg

20220404_142338.jpg

Last edited:
- Yeah, I hear you about the fork strength. And you've already got those cool rims built up. I'm sure once you get a little more lever pulling distance it will suit the purposes fine. I've yet to ride this one more than 3 miles but I am on a hill so the dual brakes are welcome. I've put some images of this contraption up on a 'Custom Bikes' forum so hope I don't get scolded for postjng a few here? It's not for the purist, but I wanted it Rube Goldberg/Walter Mitty.....that's my excuse.
Oh, and the 3-speed shifter is a motor cycle timing advance lever ...works really well...similar cable stop to a modern gear changer.

View attachment 1641385

View attachment 1641386

View attachment 1641387
rube goldberg would be proud of that bit of engineering!

Back