When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1949 Huffman….

-

Phrank Vee

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hey Cabers! Looking for some advice. I’ve been “off of bikes” for about 8 months. I just had a relapse. I’m attempting to reassemble the lower bracket. I have tried 3 diff sets of bearing cups. Finally I think iI have the correct ones and the “Race” (not sure if thats the correct term)? Is tightning too far inside the crank. The bearing, washer, and nut, are correct and fit. Its just doesn't look right. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

D94E64B5-BF03-4A06-AAD4-04794CF3C566.jpeg

Wow. Those deep cups. Possible to remove crank and show pics of race, bearings and view of cups?
Also, cup doesn't look flush to BB from pic.

Hey Cabers! Looking for some advice. I’ve been “off of bikes” for about 8 months. I just had a relapse. I’m attempting to reassemble the lower bracket. I have tried 3 diff sets of bearing cups. Finally I think iI have the correct ones and the “Race” (not sure if thats the correct term)? Is tightning too far inside the crank. The bearing, washer, and nut, are correct and fit. Its just doesn't look right. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time.

View attachment 1647577
Maybe a dumb question, but
are the bearings inside the cups?

Typical bottom bracket crank hanger hardware usually consists of 4 pieces on the right: cup, cone, bearing set, spacer washer; and 5 pieces on the left: cup, cone, bearing set, keyed washer, and lock nut.
Ball bearing sets should be 5/16” x 10.

The proper terms are cup & cone; upper races and lower races are sometimes seen in loose-bearings headsets on English bicycles.

Last edited:
Typical bottom bracket crank hanger hardware usually consists of 4 pieces on the right: cup, cone, bearing set, spacer washer; and 5 pieces on the left: cup, cone, bearing set, keyed washer, and lock nut.
Ball bearing sets should be 5/16” x 10.

The proper terms are cup & cone; upper races and lower races are sometimes seen in English bicycle loose-bearings headsets.
Thanks for the reply. You inspired me to use my brain. I figured it out.

The “bell of shame” has been ringing in my head! My bike building privileges should be revoked!

Take that apart and post pictures of all the parts. It is definitely not right.
Thanks for the reply. You inspired me to use my brain. I figured it out.

The “bell of shame” has been ringing in my head! My bike building privileges should be revoked!

Back