When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How would you clean/preserve/make this presentable?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BrianInPA

Finally riding a big boys bike
Found under a porch during construction. Rusty but solid. I would like to clean it properly and preserve it. I did a little on the bottom bracket with WD40 and 00 steel wool to find the serial number. What's the best way to start cleaning it up?

Also, the scout seat is in remarkably good condition, but I would like to keep it from getting brittle if that is the right thing to do. Any product recommended for that?

Thank you, I appreciate the help!

shelby1.jpg

Nice find....Not a lot of paint left on that one. Depends what the end goal is. Lots of info here and many techniques for rust removal. I'd just keep working the WD 40 and 0000 steel wool just go slow. Start hitting all the nuts etc with a penetrating oil everyday until you can break it down. Then you can clean up individual parts if you wish.

And don't cut the tires.... they can be worked back into shape if you just plan on displaying the bike. If you plan on riding there are plenty of posts regarding options for 28" wheel sets.

Good luck and enjoy

Nice find....Not a lot of paint left on that one. Depends what the end goal is. Lots of info here and many techniques for rust removal. I'd just keep working the WD 40 and 0000 steel wool just go slow. Start hitting all the nuts etc with a penetrating oil everyday until you can break it down. Then you can clean up individual parts if you wish.

And don't cut the tires.... they can be worked back into shape if you just plan on displaying the bike. If you plan on riding there are plenty of posts regarding options for 28" wheel sets.

Good luck and enjoy
Thank you for the help! I think I will probably display for now, but eventually would like to make it a rider. I think it would really cool to put her back on the road!

Yes, I did see some threads about that so may end up going that route. Thank you!
Brant is certainly right about that.... I was amazed at these results posted recently

The OA is just a little bit more of a process and you'll have to get it apart first. Freeing the stem is always a challenge and I wrestled with one a 20's Schwinn for a few weeks before I got it out. Finally came across a thread that was really helpful. Once you soak the stem bolt with penetrating oil for a few days and it starts to move just back it out a just 1/4-1/2" and whack it from above with a rubber mallet... should be enough to break the seal. If you try to loosen it too much it seems to tighten it. If that doesn't work more oil... There are posts on where to go from there as far as gaining more leverage or using heat

Brant is certainly right about that.... I was amazed at these results posted recently

The OA is just a little bit more of a process and you'll have to get it apart first. Freeing the stem is always a challenge and I wrestled with one a 20's Schwinn for a few weeks before I got it out. Finally came across a thread that was really helpful. Once you soak the stem bolt with penetrating oil for a few days and it starts to move just back it out a just 1/4-1/2" and whack it from above with a rubber mallet... should be enough to break the seal. If you try to loosen it too much it seems to tighten it. If that doesn't work more oil... There are posts on where to go from there as far as gaining more leverage or using heat

I've seen where some throw the whole bike in a pool of OA. Take the wheels and seat off, flip the bars sideways and dunk it. 😜

Back