When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tire and wheel options. 1923 Hawthorne

-
Velocitie Blunt 35s are almost identical in width and profile as well as diameter.

The light colored rim in the pic is the Velocity Blunt 35 the rim with spokes is the wood rim.

I haven't seen another modern rim that matches better. Some people recommend 28" English rims, but they're actually larger in diameter than a 700c rim. Lots of good looking "Gravel bike" tires out there in approximately the right size (700x38 is approximately the same as the old style 28"x1.5" singletubes tires)

The unit is much rougher in person than the pics. I have been looking for this bike for MANY years. I do alot of restoration of old things so it will be done absolutely correctly. I am a Historic Preservationist by trade.

I have limited my choices to old Westwood style rims vs modern Velocity Blunts. I am convinced to use my stock hubs.

Where is the crank date? Thanks.

Alternatively you could have Noah Stutzman (see post #11 here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wood-rims-and-tires.206152/page-2#post-1407988).

I, too, would not restore this bike for two reasons; first it's actually a pretty nice original, second, the cost to correctly restore this bike will greatly exceed its finished value. If money is no object then no worries. If you hope to turn this at some point expect a loss. I also assume by correctly restore you mean to have the correct plating done e.g. nickel and cad and use a single stage automotive grade acrylic enamel. V/r Shawn

Last edited:
Yes I plan to restore it as close as the original as possible with correct practices. This unit would go into my personal collection and selling it is not something of concern. Pre depression era units like are extremely hard to find " in the wild" here in the Midwest. I do appreciate all of these comments. I have spent an entire lifetime preserving history of all kinds. Some things are left as is and some should be taken back to where they started.

Alternatively you could have Noah Stutzman (see post #11 here https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wood-rims-and-tires.206152/page-2#post-1407988).

I, too, would not restore this bike for two reasons; first it's actually a pretty nice original, second, the cost to correctly restore this bike will greatly exceed its finished value. If money is no object then no worries. If you hope to turn this at some point expect a loss. I also assume by correctly restore you mean to have the correct plating done e.g. nickel and cad and use a single stage automotive grade acrylic enamel. V/r Shawn

I'm another vote for preservation. I have used velocity blunts in the past with great success. That bike is WAAAAAYYYYY too nice to restore

After.JPG

Before.JPG

Back