When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Restoration Attempt 1955 Black Phantom

-
The bike looks great so far. Other than adding a correct part I wouldn't do much more. It's an awesome bike.
I'm not managing my comments to this very well so I'm kinda slow to respond despite reading everything. I liked your comment but forgot to actually respond. You mentioned a "correct part" which I'm very interested in. A couple people have talked about the seat and I know the pedals are crazy. I want accurate on these so if you have suggestions or feedback, let me know. I'm very interested in correct parts. I take the criticism pretty well so you don't have to be gentle. I'm new and this is the only way I'm gonna learn.

I'm not managing my comments to this very well so I'm kinda slow to respond despite reading everything. I liked your comment but forgot to actually respond. You mentioned a "correct part" which I'm very interested in. A couple people have talked about the seat and I know the pedals are crazy. I want accurate on these so if you have suggestions or feedback, let me know. I'm very interested in correct parts. I take the criticism pretty well so you don't have to be gentle. I'm new and this is the only way I'm gonna learn.
I was actually speaking in more general terms. I am no expert and should have said "correct parts." The correct rear reflector on the rear fender, the grips, the pedals, etc. Nothing that breaks the bank or has to be done ASAP. My suggestion on the seat is to ride it and see if you like it. If you like it I wouldn't be in any hurry to replace it. I have a 1950 Black Phantom but to my understanding the seat I have on it was for a '51 or later but I ride it a lot and love the seat so I don't plan on replacing it. You have done a great job on the bike and should enjoy it.

Hey all,
I'm still very new around here and just got into the vintage bike world. I just purchased five bikes from my grandfather's family estate auction recently and I'm slowly cleaning them up and learning as I go. I'm sending a lot of my high maintenance questions to a fellow Caber but I wanted to share my first project that took me about 3 weeks to tear down and put back together. I'm a psych major and very mechanically challenged so all the wrench turning and problem solving associated with this doesn't come naturally to me. But here's my beginning pics.

View attachment 1646311

View attachment 1646312

View attachment 1646313

View attachment 1646314

View attachment 1646315

View attachment 1646316

I've never torn anything down before so I took a lot of pictures (I think 97 or them to make it through the first process). While my contact has suggested an OA bath, I was a little nervous and mostly just stuck to learning the mechanics the first time around and rubbing a lot of aluminum foil on chrome.

Out of all the bikes that I purchased, this 1955 Phantom seemed like a good first project because they're fairly common and I was fine with making a few mistakes along the line.

Here's some before and after shots
View attachment 1646317

View attachment 1646318

View attachment 1646319

View attachment 1646320

As well as the process of me putting this poor thing back together (Again, no clue what I was doing:(
View attachment 1646321

View attachment 1646322
View attachment 1646323

As well as one final shot of it in the same place that it started:

View attachment 1646324

It still needs a few parts to my knowledge. I'm not sure what kind of pedals are on there but they're not right so I'm gonna scope out some Schwinn pedals. Also, please ignore that squirrely tire cap. I have a repo Phantom light I could put on it but I'm not rushing into that yet. I'm not sure about that seat though. If anyone has feedback on that thing. It's in pretty good shape but doesn't look like my other repo seats. Here's a close up from Before I started the clean up.
View attachment 1646325

I'm currently tearing part my first bike as a kid from back in the 80's and I'm likely going to try and practice using an OA bath on that before I come back to this project again. I'd like to ultimately do a full OA bath on this to detail it up a bit as well as clean up some of the nuts and bolts on it. If anyone has feedback or suggestions, I take criticism pretty well.
I have a 55 as well and can tell U first hand, there's nothing common about 1955-59 except they don't get the attention the previous 'Old Style' years do. U can see mine at top left. I stashed the saddle B/C the leather is coming off and needs to be recovered.

Also, you should not expect to have the old style 52 tooth "Phantom" sprocket on yours. The few 55-59 originals that do, are likely because the terrain conditions dealers sold from and or collectors have changed them.. . 1954/5. Schwinn began to eliminate the large front chain rings. IDK but guess that, Schwinn's newest line of middleweights came out in 1954/5 because demand for smaller chain ring, even today is universal whereas, larger is harder in stop and go traffic and hilly regions. So, I guess that your chain ring, the same as mine, has the intent of being part of the whole 'New Style' package.

Yet, what makes the 55-59 the least common is the front fender. Consider U self lucky that you stumbled on one that has the original springer and front fender.

In 55 Schwinn made them differently and called the springer 'New Style'. The 'Old Style' front fenders, which is most common and reproduced in 1995 do not mount on the New Style springer fork without modifications. It is not any different than old style except; the New Style's fender to fork mount hole is centered while old is off set toward the rear so, it's difficult to find a 'New Style' front fender hence, an original 55-59 Black, Red, Green or the 1955 only Blue Phantom front fender is not common by any means.
😉

'

Last edited:
I forgot, the Black Phantom usually came with red or black grips, mine are red. The white that you have are newer. Your pedals will be the more expensive and desired type which very similar types were reproduced in the 90's as well and embossed 'Schwinn Deluxe' on the rubber blocks with large AS on end caps. My originals are the same as photo below except, better condition. I've added The 95 repop pedal end cap photo so, U can see and compare the differences between original and reproductions.

img_4188-jpg.jpg

1995 Phantom Repop AS pedals:
s-l1600.jpg

I forgot, the Black Phantom usually came with red or black grips, mine are red. The white that you have are newer. Your pedals will be the more expensive and desired type which very similar types were reproduced in the 90's as well and embossed 'Schwinn Deluxe' on the rubber blocks with large AS on end caps. My originals are the same as photo below except, better condition. I've added The 95 repop pedal end cap photo so, U can see and compare the differences between original and reproductions.

View attachment 1651051

1995 Phantom Repop AS pedals:
View attachment 1651052
Hey Jeff, I appreciate your responses and you're giving me a lot to think about. So one question on the "Deluxe" pedals. So I may be connecting dots here that don't need connected but I had assumed that the "deluxe" pedals were only on the deluxe version of the bikes (which i thought included the locking fork). Is there a link between deluxe and locking forks at all or am I crazy?

Hey Jeff, I appreciate your responses and you're giving me a lot to think about. So one question on the "Deluxe" pedals. So I may be connecting dots here that don't need connected but I had assumed that the "deluxe" pedals were only on the deluxe version of the bikes (which i thought included the locking fork). Is there a link between deluxe and locking forks at all or am I crazy?
Nope and yup, U R certainly nuts! Just kidding 🤪. As I understand; Deluxe pedals were on many Schwinn heavy bikes albeit 'Deluxe' were mainly used in versions considered to have premium features. All of the Phantoms are premium models whereas, other models or styles that may have Deluxe pedals may not include the "Deluxe" decal too. . So, for that, yeah but no B/C it's a feature on premium type models. And I guess that; after 59 Schwinn began ending them on other factory built styles as well. Not but pretty sure, on older Deluxe pedals the AS mark has a little wider font.

As to having a locking fork, I hear the New Style may have one but never seen it. In the old style fork, most included it but not always. As with most package kits and supplies for their projected sales, like autos, it's dependent on what prices dealer or distributor's expected buget and price variances availed with factory orders for their entire annual or quarterly stock.

Yours incidentally, As a BFG or other none Schwinn exclusive dealers, some times they'll purchase last year's or clearance models with parts Schwinn is liquidating which could by why some may have the 52 tooth sprocket too. . Yours is certainly, for 1955, the newest model on the shelves. So, if you can imagine, it would be likely, in a kid's eyes, the best Black Phantom in 1954's early Xmas release and during 1955, any kid would want.
Mine also has an original Speedometer. 'Yes sir, woo hoo!'

Last edited:
Nice work for a first timer! Welcome to an awesome and very addictive hobby. Great pics to chronicle your efforts. Very cool!

Back