When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix coaster hub problems

-

Monarkman

Finally riding a big boys bike
I need help. I have a 65’ Schwinn Typhoon with a red band Bendix coaster hub. It was squealing when braking, so I pulled it apart cleaned and re lubed it. (White lithium grease)
Was out on a ride today and squealing bad when braking.
The brake pads appear to be fine (not worn out)
Any help on what’s causing this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

AA00433C-809F-475A-8F3A-00BA6488CECD.jpeg

FBF02E2B-A288-45AA-9A83-52BEE316231D.jpeg

Not sure if this is your problem, but it is advisable to hone or sand the inside of the hub shell to break the glaze formed over time from braking. Also, white lithium has a tendency to harden up over time, there are better forms of grease out there.
Thank you so much for your response, I appreciate it very much. I will try what you advised and will use another type of grease.👍👍

In this same section at the top in the “pinned” threads is a thread for Volumes 1 & 2 of the Schwinn Service manuals. Great step by step instructions for the professional service guy in the a Schwinn dealership. What’s really nice about them is that Schwinn anticipated people would be bring others makes into their dealerships so these repair manuals cover all brands. I found excellent instructions for going through a Mussleman made Elgin hub in them.

White lithium grease is the last thing I'd use on any bike part other than the kickstand. Things like a kickstand, strike plates and latches on cars is what that stuff was initially intended for, not gears, bearings, chains etc....

White lithium grease is the last thing I'd use on any bike part other than the kickstand. Things like a kickstand, strike plates and latches on cars is what that stuff was initially intended for, not gears, bearings, chains etc....
Wow! Thank you so much for your comment, I appreciate it very much.

In this same section at the top in the “pinned” threads is a thread for Volumes 1 & 2 of the Schwinn Service manuals. Great step by step instructions for the professional service guy in the a Schwinn dealership. What’s really nice about them is that Schwinn anticipated people would be bring others makes into their dealerships so these repair manuals cover all brands. I found excellent instructions for going through a Mussleman made Elgin hub in them.
Thank you so much for your comment and pointing me to that information.

Back