When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing grips without destroying them.

-

HEMI426

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Does anyone know how to remove grips without killing them, is there a trick I am unaware of. I wanted to save these but got impatient and murdered them. So I made key chains out of what was left. I used low heat, oil, soapy water, butter knife, rag and plyers but they didn't budge, I thought they were glued but when I cut them off there was no sign of anything. Please chime in if you have a trick. Thanks, I put on the metalflake ones, they look way better.

20220626_095907.jpg

20220626_110816.jpg

20220626_095939.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know how to remove grips without killing them, is there a trick I am unaware of. I wanted to save these but got impatient and murdered them. So I made key chains out of what was left. I used low heat, oil, soapy water, butter knife, rag and plyers but they didn't budge, I thought they were glued but when I cut them off there was no sign of anything. Please chime in if you have a trick. Thanks, I put on the metalflake ones, they look way better.

View attachment 1652411

View attachment 1652412

View attachment 1652424
I use the skinniest slotted screw driver I have and work it in with a tiny bit of wd40 . Sometimes you need to get it way down in there. (That's what she said). I have often thought an artists flat flexible paint mixing knife might work.

Find an open end wrench that fits snug over the bars. Slide it over the bar and against the edge of the grip and then hammer the grip off hitting the side of the wrench. If you can heat it first in water like Brant suggested it will work even better.

I've also had good success with compressed air under the edge while twisting and pulling.

Thanks Brant, I didn't try that. Does that expand the rubber and not the bar?
Not sure what expansion occurs, the rubber will soften and and it seems to work on any rust action under the grips. Usually I am working off much older grips than yours. Always seems to do the trick; I have only lost a few patients due to breakage or cracking. Sometimes with older teens-30's grips you then have to use the John Deere tire juice after they dry out if a white chalky look appears.

I got the butter knife in there pretty far and it stretched, it didn't rip which made me think it would just twist off, I even wiggled it around the bar while in there. After all these tries I finally said out loud f#@k this and cut them off.

I got the butter knife in there pretty far and it stretched, it didn't rip which made me think it would just twist off, I even wiggled it around the bar while in there. After all these tries I finally said out loud f#@k this and cut them off.
If you got that far with a butter knife, you probably could have stuck the tip of an air nozzle under the edge and twisted them right off.

Back