When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottom bracket noise.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ian

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
In Memoriam
I replaced the BB bearings with new #66's.
Fresh grease, cleaned the cups. It makes almost constant noise pedaling uphill under load. Anybody have any tips?
'36 Rollfast.

Maybe BB assembly is loose. Check crankarms for lateral play, tighten adjusting cone as needed, not overtight.

Reactions: ian
I also had that issue with a Morrow hub that had too much play in it. After adjusting, the cog lined up with the sprocket better and the noise disappeared.

Reactions: ian
I'm with Scott--check chain. With a BB problem you usually 'feel' it more than a chain unless you have stiff links. V/r Shawn
The chain seems pretty limber and smooth. Maybe it's stretched and too far gone. It seems like I can feel some friction or drag, and it's definitely noticeable and loud.

I also had that issue with a Morrow hub that had too much play in it. After adjusting, the cog lined up with the sprocket better and the noise disappeared.
There is a bit of side to side play, maybe less than an eighth or so. I'll investigate more. Thanks Jay.

Back