When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottom bracket noise.

-
Rear rim/hub/chainring changed out. Same chain it came with.

20220704_160137.jpg

20220704_160122.jpg

I'm thinking that could be the problem, or part of it. I'm gonna try Plan "B" and see if I can make it work.
Thanks for the help.
Ian

Ian, since nobody but you has heard this noise, what kind of "loud noise" is it? Where does it seem to be emitted from? The drivetrain in particular? If it is a "creaking" noise it is most likely ungreased metal to metal like on pedal threads, pressed in cups. stem/steer tube, seat related or missing washers or adjustment screws.😎 Worst scenario is a cracked crank arm or frame ready to let go. Have you "felt" for the noise while riding yet? Creaks, pops and squeaks eminating with each pedal stroke can be located by feel/touch through vibrations they send through the frame. While "just riding along" reach down with your fingers and find where the vibration is strongest. You can also get a can of WD40 and start blasting suspected areas until it disappears.....just not all at once works best.

Last edited:
Did you swap out the 26-tooth CWC chain ring front sprocket with a 24-tooth Murray sprocket? https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/what-bike-did-you-ride-today.61973/page-2424#post-1447152
Sprocket looks shiny in the center, like the side that might have been next to the bearing cone; (i.e., flipped inside-out?).
Yeppers. I traded the chainring that came on it for a ladies one from a Higgins from the parts stash. I also traded the 15 tooth ND that came with it for a 20 tooth ND. I saw the shiny part you mentioned, but the other side looked the same. I'm gonna hang it up for the foreseeable future and ride what I have. Thanks for the help.
Ian

Ian, since nobody but you has heard this noise, what kind of "loud noise" is it? Where does it seem to be emitted from? The drivetrain in particular? If it is a "creaking" noise it is most likely ungreased metal to metal like on pedal threads, pressed in cups. stem/steer tube, seat related or missing washers or adjustment screws.😎 Worst scenario is a cracked crank arm or frame ready to let go. Have you "felt" for the noise while riding yet?
Squeaks can be located by feel/touch through vibrations sent through the frame. 'Do this while riding...You can also get a can of WD40 and start blasting everything until it disappears while never locating where it was..
It's a serious (to me ) creaking noise when I pedal uphill. I replaced the crankarms, bearings, races and all the washers etc. It's definitely not a squeak 😀. I tried making sure the races were clean and not pitted or galled. New #66 bearings. Fresh grease. I'll be back in the BB later on this Summer. Another project for sure. Thanks for the reply.
Ian

Back