When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My most "rewarding" bike ride

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
When I was about ten or eleven, I think, some of the neighborhood kids would gather about 7 or 8 blocks away from where I lived where new houses were being built. The rule was I had to be home by dark, around 9:00pm. There were a couple older girls that came around every now and then. They were 12 or 13 😍 and we would go to the basement and they would grade us on kissing 💋 So now it's about 9:45 and dark and I know I'm in trouble. I pedal as fast as I can to get home. As I come to my corner I see my Mom sitting on the porch with a fly swatter in her hand and a look only a terrified kid can have 😬 I was able to duck down behind a car before she saw me, we were the second house off the corner. I yanked the chain loose and wiped grease all over my face, hands and shirt 🤓 Then I stared pushing my bike home crying like I never had before. Mom, my bike broke and I have been pushing it from 9th street, we lived on 16th.😇 Mom consoled me and all was good, I even had ice cream that night 🥲
That's awesome!

When I was young and in the prime of my life, I had ridden my bike about 14 miles down to the seaside community of Laguna Beach, California.
While there, I met a bikini clad woman about 10 years older than me.
Before I knew it, I had my bike in the trunk of her car, and we were off to a local hotel, where we spent some very loving hours enjoying each other’s company.
One of those days you never forget.

I think the same girl is still waiting on the beach?

nexus Shimano 3 speed.jpg

Now, If I meet a woman 10 years older than me in a bikini, I'll lose my lunch........... and she will lose hers looking at me!! Family Guy "who wants Chowder?"
Hey, age is just a number and beauty is skin deep. Let the memories always stay alive!

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Last edited:
Getting my girlfriend (now my wife) to ride with me all the way down the Capital Crescent Trail and back with both of us on vintage bikes. She hates everything about bicycles, so getting her to ride with me the whole way was an accomplishment. It was one of those nice, warm and dry fall days in Maryland and DC, when you can smell the dried leaves in the warm air. This was back in 2005. The funny thing about it is it's one of those memories where I can drop myself back into that time and place if I think about it hard enough. I guess it just sticks out in my mind. She generally hates anything bicycle, but even she had a fun ride that day. I remember the sun sitting right among the trees and in spots would burst through like thunder between the branches. I have pictures from that ride buried on an old storage drive around here somewhere. Fun afternoon.

This was back in 2005. The funny thing about it is it's one of those memories where I can drop myself back into that time and place if I think about it hard enough.

Met my girlfriend in 1967, married her in 1970. Now that's going back, 2005 is a blink.

Getting my girlfriend (now my wife) to ride with me all the way down the Capital Crescent Trail and back with both of us on vintage bikes. She hates everything about bicycles, so getting her to ride with me the whole way was an accomplishment. It was one of those nice, warm and dry fall days in Maryland and DC, when you can smell the dried leaves in the warm air. This was back in 2005. The funny thing about it is it's one of those memories where I can drop myself back into that time and place if I think about it hard enough. I guess it just sticks out in my mind. She generally hates anything bicycle, but even she had a fun ride that day. I remember the sun sitting right among the trees and in spots would burst through like thunder between the branches. I have pictures from that ride buried on an old storage drive around here somewhere. Fun afternoon.
I’m not sure, if this was the same trail, but my wife and I visited Washington DC a few years ago, and while we were there, we asked the hotel, if they could procure a couple of bicycles for us.
They did, so we spent one of our days, by riding over to Arlington National Cemetery, then on down to Mt. Vernon to visit President Washington’s home and final resting place.
It was one of those wonderful days, that was made all the more glorious, by the presence of the bicycle.

I’m not sure, if this was the same trail, but my wife and I visited Washington DC a few years ago, and while we were there, we asked the hotel, if they could procure a couple of bicycles for us.
They did, so we spent one of our days, by riding over to Arlington National Cemetery, then on down to Mt. Vernon to visit President Washington’s home and final resting place.
It was one of those wonderful days, that was made all the more glorious, by the presence of the bicycle.

That is the Mt. Vernon Trail which is the next trail to the south. The two connect in Georgetown in DC. Mt. Vernon is probably the better known trail. Both of those trails are fun rides. When I lived in Georgetown, I usually was on Mt. Vernon and when I lived in Bethesda it was Capital Crescent. I'm surprised the hotels don't keep more bicycles around, given the quality of the trails there. They're especially good rides in the spring and in the fall. If you tolerate heat and humidity, summer isn't bad either, but not everyone who visits the area is ready for a July or August ride on the trail (you get used to it though).

My most memorable ride was the best and worst all in the same day, it was July 3rd 1968. All the kids would meet at the baseball diamond for races, we would start with our rear tire on home plate and race round 1st, 2nd and 3rd then cross home plate for the win but I never won, I was the fat kid in the neighborhood. My dad owned a junkyard and I had a 26in. jollopy, I told my dad I never win so he put together a 20in. out of junk parts for me. Ape hangers and bannana seat just like all the other kids except mine was built with love and junk parts.. Well I couldn't wait to race, so on July 3rd 1968 I won for the first time then the cops pulled into the ballpark, we thought we were in trouble but they called for me and my brother, they took us home only to see cops and an ambulance. We were told our dad was killed in an accident in the junkyard. The best and worst in the same day.

20210313_132322.jpg

20210313_125713.jpg

My most memorable ride was the best and worst all in the same day, it was July 3rd 1968. All the kids would meet at the baseball diamond for races, we would start with our rear tire on home plate and race round 1st, 2nd and 3rd then cross home plate for the win but I never won, I was the fat kid in the neighborhood. My dad owned a junkyard and I had a 26in. jollopy, I told my dad I never win so he put together a 20in. out of junk parts for me. Ape hangers and bannana seat just like all the other kids except mine was built with love and junk parts.. Well I couldn't wait to race, so on July 3rd 1968 I won for the first time then the cops pulled into the ballpark, we thought we were in trouble but they called for me and my brother, they took us home only to see cops and an ambulance. We were told our dad was killed in an accident in the junkyard. The best and worst in the same day.

View attachment 1658151

View attachment 1658152
OMG, Brother...that's harsh.

Back