When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 Flying Star Pictures Please

-
The ones labeled "Juvenile" are going to be really small. I think it is time for some rash generalizations. "Men,s" pedals have pads about 4" long. "Ladies" pedals have pads about 3-1/4" inches long. The pedal is otherwise identical, just shorter. "Juvenile" pedals are also about 3-1/4" long, but the pads are closer in towards the axle. The end plates are shorter and the spindles are closer together.

These names, ,"Mens" and "Ladies", seem to follow 26" bike practice. "Ladies" pedals are also often found on boys "Juvenile" bikes (think of 24" bikes, back when they were for small children). "Juvenile" pedals must have been for really small bikes, maybe 20" when they were for little tikes on training wheels. Maybe. There isn't much reason to use them instead of "Ladies" pedals since they are about the same length. That probably all went out the window when people of all sizes got on 20 inch bikes with banana seats.

I don't have any idea what Schwinn's policy was about all of this pedal sizing, but I worked on a lot of bikes when I was a kid, and I have not ever seen many sets of "Juvenile" pedals. I feel sure that is not what you want for the bike this thread is about. 4 inch blocks (or something real close) are the ticket.

Last edited:
The ones labeled "Juvenile" are going to be really small. I think it is time for some rash generalizations. "Men,s" pedals have pads about 4" long. "Ladies" pedals have pads about 3-1/4" inches long. The pedal is otherwise identical, just shorter. "Juvenile" pedals are also about 3-1/4" long, but the pads are closer in towards the axle. The end plates are shorter and the spindles are closer together.

These names, ,"Mens" and "Ladies", seem to follow 26" bike practice. "Ladies" pedals are also often found on boys "Juvenile" bikes (think of 24" bikes, back when they were for small children). "Juvenile" pedals must have been for really small bikes, maybe 20" when they were for little tikes on training wheels. Maybe. There isn't much reason to use them instead of "Ladies" pedals since they are about the same length. That probably all went out the window when people of all sizes got on 20 inch bikes with banana seats.

I don't have any idea what Schwinn's policy was about all of this pedal sizing, but I worked on a lot of bikes when I was a kid, and I have not ever seen many sets of "Juvenile" pedals. I feel sure that is not what you want for the bike this thread is about. 4 inch blocks (or something real close) are the ticket.
Yeah, you are right about Schwinn girl sized and boy's. With Juvenile 20 and 24" sized wheel/frame, the Pedals are same as girl's pedals.
I would guess to say only this; Maybe, smaller kiddy, 16 or 14" bikes kind-a, I mean, ought to be, smaller but IDK.

The AS pedal set, I do not think are correct for a 1955 of your model type. I do not know if they are earlier, fantasy repop? or what. Plus When that AS is on Schwinn pedals then, I believe it's a deluxe model and not a chance in H, would be on any standard models. U know? except dealer/owner up-grade switch-a-roo. But I do know that, as I have shown in previous post, the 1958 set with push-lock washer has close to what yours would have but and it is not flat rather, it's cup, and as U can see it the photo below, the cup has a ring around it, and I think it wasn't intended to be influenced by, but the top pedal at side angle, like an old 1950's flying saucer shape. And just may be the same as the ebay set, but that's too small for you.

Yet for spits and giggles, I'm gonna run wit it.

Circa 1958 Schwinn flying saucer bearing cup petals. Mah, ha, ha!
Now B/C I am way back-logged in 100's and hundreds of photos unrelated to bikes, waiting to be taken, I am not set up to make a photo of mine. BUT, a little imagination if you will:

The 1958, as I took a closer check on my 55 pedals, are not quite 'flying saucer' Rather, the cup is a bit deeper, wider and with thinner ring than the 58 has. I can not drag mine out currently too. It's not bashed in but too rusty to see any stamp on the cup, there might be one. .

Regardless, I'm adding the photo of 1958 so U can see the round cup and ya only need Imagination to understand; in 1955 it is similar but the 58 makes a better flying saucer impression. 55 cup is wider, taller and ring around it is thinner than 58. Not to leave out, again, before 58-ish, nuts and bolts verses this push-lock ring. Which is like that ebay set. I just can not be sure as mine are to rusty to see any marks.

s-l1600-jpg.jpg

circa

Last edited:
Back