When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paint Stripper Recommendations Please.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Flingdangle

Look Ma, No Hands!
I just attempted to strip some flaking spray paint off of an old bicycle frame. It was this stuff called Sunnyside 2 minute remover. I globbed it onto the frame and kept an eye on the paint. It didn't bubble up. I left it on for ten minutes and if anything, the stripper actually made the paint look better! I've used paint stripper in the past and the paint boiled up immediately. Can anybody tell me a good paint stripper?

paint stripper - 1.jpeg

IMG_0819.jpeg

Unfortunately, the Fed took the good stuff out of consumer level stripper a few years ago due to several deaths by dumb users spray applying it in closed spaces. If you want some that will actually work the only way to get it is in 5 gallon pails with a commercial account at a paint store (you only need a SSN to get an account BTW). In truth you can buy both methylene chloride and n-methylpyrrolidone as stand alone chemicals and add them back into a consumer level methanol stripper base. Home chemistry is not for everybody, obviously.

I have had pretty good luck using razor blades to scrape it all off, stripping aluminum boats and cars that way. I go through a lot of blades, which are cheaper and less toxic than strippers, but the paint just flies off in sharp little chips. Hold it at a low angle in a holder and watch the chips fly.

So after all that work stripping the paint, what are you going to do with all the rust that's everywhere, including under the paint? Just blast it and be done with it.

GTs58, this is a different bike from the 56. I just wanted to strip the paint today. I tried another brand “Kleen Strip” and it was a little better but not much. I actually got some on my arm and it didn’t even hurt. I remember getting paint stripper on my hand as a kid back in the 70’s and immediately screaming in agony. I’ve got a blasting cabinet. I can’t lift my hands up high enough to put them into the gloves right now due to a recent motorcycle crash. Looks like this frame is gonna have to wait another month.

This stuff is amazing. I got it a an Ace hardware. The spray can is great. Paint starts to bubble up in a few minutes.

Back