When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was given an antique Schwinn and don’t know where to start

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Webby_Dean

On Training Wheels
I was given an antique Schwinn by a family member and they have relatively no info on it. I’m new to the Schwinn world, but after digging through catalogs, it appears to be a 1941 BA37-1. I looked for a serial number, but couldn’t find one; then again, I’m not sure where I’m supposed to be looking. If anyone could help provide some insight into what exactly I have I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

Yep find the serial and we can give you a year. That bike has a whole lot of wrong parts on it so I wouldn't spend a lot of money. Should make a decent rider if you plan to keep it. V/r Shawn

Yeah, look on the bottom bracket (under the crank). The frame and fork does look like it could be from around 1940-41. Most of the other parts are newer. Post a picture of the serial number and we can probably get close on the year of the frame if it is really a Schwinn (I think it is). Also post the tire size, both front and rear.

Welcome to the CABE!

I have to wonder why this frame didn't get the lead filler on the joints filed down. Typically Schwinns had a very nice and smooth finish. Maybe it was built first shift on monday, or last shift on friday?
Someone on a different forum mentioned that and said maybe it had to do with WWII. I noticed that and wondered the same as you.

Back