When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A clever way to quickly add some patina to your entire bike collection.

-
Now that's similar to what us Carpenters would have done. A knee brace or other types of braces are the strongest at a 45 degree angle. The top of those plywood braces will have the most force where they are attached to the top of the cleat(?) so make sure they are fastened really good at the top for a pulling outward force. Anywhere else only keeps it from sliding downward.

Glad to hear the damage wasn't too heavy.

Well it's not how I planned to spend this beautiful Saturday afternoon but it's all fixed. There really wasn't much damage that I can see. This chain guard might have been the worst thing but I'm not sure if it wasn't like this before. I know it was pretty bent up.

View attachment 1667873

View attachment 1667875

View attachment 1667876
Nice Man!! You’ve got big gonads! I always like to share my fails so others can learn from my mistakes, and gimme some payback for being a wiseguy!! I’m glad you didn’t sustain major damage!!

Now that's similar to what us Carpenters would have done. A knee brace or other types of braces are the strongest at a 45 degree angle. The top of those plywood braces will have the most force where they are attached to the top of the cleat(?) so make sure they are fastened really good at the top for a pulling outward force. Anywhere else only keeps it from sliding downward.

Carpenters? Yup stole lots of tricks from you, But tile guys rule 😂🤣😅 🪚🗜🔨🗜🪛 over build everything 😉

Reactions: ian
Outstanding, repair job!
Now, only the wire hangers look sketchy.
I’d probably go with Cam Buckle Straps for that task.
But, that’s just me.
If the wire has held up without fail, then it seems your good to go for another 10 years or so.

Very sorry , Have you picked them up yet and surveyed the damage to each bike , maybe won’t be as bad as it looks hopefully

Yes I fastened them to the shelf, I've been building things for a living for 25 years now. In retrospect I should have skipped the metal shelf brackets and built the whole thing out of plywood. Now I can finally get back to my POS house project.

20220717_200037.jpg

Brother Bikewhorder:
My heart goes out to you. The sound of that crash must have made your blood run cold. Thanks for sharing. We all grow by learning from successes and failures, our own and those of others. A good book on the topic is To Engineer is Human: The Role of Failure in Successful Design by Henry Petroski.
Ride on!

Back