When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you clean out the rust inside the frame without removing the rust on the outside the frame?

-
One more question related to this bike project: I loaded all the bearings, cups and coaster brake parts for this bike into my ultrasonic cleaner to see if it'd all fit, and amazingly, I could still fit a ton more small parts in this thing! However, since I've never used this before, I have to ask: is this too much to try and clean at once? All the tutorials I've seen for these devices only show folks cleaning a single bike chain and maybe a few cassette gears in these things. I really want to get as much clean as possible, but I'd like to avoid damaging anything if I can help it.
203774-BftD-rusty-murray-rrbbo-2022-230.jpg

One more question related to this bike project: I loaded all the bearings, cups and coaster brake parts for this bike into my ultrasonic cleaner to see if it'd all fit, and amazingly, I could still fit a ton more small parts in this thing! However, since I've never used this before, I have to ask: is this too much to try and clean at once? All the tutorials I've seen for these devices only show folks cleaning a single bike chain and maybe a few cassette gears in these things. I really want to get as much clean as possible, but I'd like to avoid damaging anything if I can help it.
View attachment 1677333
If there is no strong shaking with machine it should be good. Try and if you hear a lot of banging pull a few out. If you have to do a couple of batches still better than scrubbing by hand

I've used brake cylinder hones and gun cleaning brushes to remove rust from inside of metal tubes. Gun cleaning kits have various size brushes and long handle attachments. Attach the brush to the rod and work manually, or attach to a drill so rust clean out can be quick and easy. After removing the brush, I attached one of the "swabs" from the kit and saturated it with some stuff that turns rust black and was able to "paint" the inside of the tube very easily.

The brush may not be a perfect fit and you may need to go from side to side as you move it up and down.

I would break up those parts into several wash loads, grouping related parts together. Ideally you have a single layer of parts in the basket, not touching the sides or bottom of the tub. Go one load at a time, cleaning each completely before moving to the next load, and changing the water as needed.

I would break up those parts into several wash loads, grouping related parts together. Ideally you have a single layer of parts in the basket, not touching the sides or bottom of the tub. Go one load at a time, cleaning each completely before moving to the next load, and changing the water as needed.
My buddy has one of these and he uses solvent or kerosene as using water would promote rust after their clean.. To each his own I guess..

Okay, before I start plugging up the bike frame and filling it with ATF, which I understand "catches on fire good," should I be worried at all about this small crack in one of the seat stays? Looks like the result of freeze damage, but I don't know. I know some folks who could weld this back up, but is it really necessary?

Okay, before I start plugging up the bike frame and filling it with ATF, which I understand "catches on fire good," should I be worried at all about this small crack in one of the seat stays? Looks like the result of freeze damage, but I don't know. I know some folks who could weld this back up, but is it really necessary?
View attachment 1678076
That is a little questionable, but I will say that ATF is only flammable under high heat conditions. So no. You can’t just light it with a lighter. It takes some heating to get it to start.

That is a little questionable, but I will say that ATF is only flammable under high heat conditions. So no. You can’t just light it with a lighter. It takes some heating to get it to start.
Well, I can't say I have any experience with ATF catching fire, but I can say summer temperatures regularly exceed 100+ degrees here in Oklahoma. I'm not so concerned with the ATF catching fire after building my bike, rather I'm more worried about the structural integrity of the frame due to the small crack, and want to know if I should patch it up before doing the ATF step.

Well, I can't say I have any experience with ATF catching fire, but I can say summer temperatures regularly exceed 100+ degrees here in Oklahoma. I'm not so concerned with the ATF catching fire after building my bike, rather I'm more worried about the structural integrity of the frame due to the small crack, and want to know if I should patch it up before doing the ATF step.
I’m not sure. Maybe a picture less close up would help to base the damage on location?

Back