When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you clean out the rust inside the frame without removing the rust on the outside the frame?

-
Okay, before I start plugging up the bike frame and filling it with ATF, which I understand "catches on fire good," should I be worried at all about this small crack in one of the seat stays? Looks like the result of freeze damage, but I don't know. I know some folks who could weld this back up, but is it really necessary?
View attachment 1678076
As far as the crack goes, it would not hurt to JB weld that and for the atf is far to messy as it will stain the patina if you get it on the painted parts.. Take my advice and just spray some WD40 down the tubes and forget about it.. You can thank me later.. Good luck Austin...

This help? That crack is only about 1cm long, so it's not too big, but it is in a spot I'm not so sure is able to handle the stress.

I would have someone weld it. I myself don’t trust JB that much. And given past accidents I have seen I would not ignore it. Have it welded and your worries will be gone.

Check the condition of the tube wall around that crack. Make sure there is still enough meat around the crack for a repair. If the tube wall crumbles away around the crack, you have a real problem. The combination of additional rust and a crack indicate possible water entrapment. If the stay wall is thick enough still around the crack, I would clean it up and braze or weld it.

I would have someone weld it. I myself don’t trust JB that much. And given past accidents I have seen I would not ignore it. Have it welded and your worries will be gone.
That's what I'd rather do. No offense to those who use it, but I don't always hear the best things about JB Weld repairs. I'll see if one of my friends can weld it back together.
Check the condition of the tube wall around that crack. Make sure there is still enough meat around the crack for a repair. If the tube wall crumbles away around the crack, you have a real problem. The combination of additional rust and a crack indicate possible water entrapment. If the stay wall is thick enough still around the crack, I would clean it up and braze or weld it.
I think there's enough meat around the crack for a weld repair. It doesn't crumble at all, so it's still quite solid. I'm pretty sure it's a case of water freezing inside the frame at one point, as I've see this sort of damage on other bikes before. I'll reach out to one of my local friends to see if they can weld it for me. I'd really like to save this bike if I can.

That's what I'd rather do. No offense to those who use it, but I don't always hear the best things about JB Weld repairs. I'll see if one of my friends can weld it back together.

I think there's enough meat around the crack for a weld repair. It doesn't crumble at all, so it's still quite solid. I'm pretty sure it's a case of water freezing inside the frame at one point, as I've see this sort of damage on other bikes before. I'll reach out to one of my local friends to see if they can weld it for me. I'd really like to save this bike if I can.
Yeah, just make sure the weld is done properly unlike your buddy who did your fork half way and you end up with a broken frame and back....

Back