When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOC crankset removal

-

2000ITR

Look Ma, No Hands!
Greetings. I am trying to remove the crankset from a 1905 Pope (#144). I cleaned up the attachment rings and discovered that these have been somewhat butchered previously (using a screwdriver/hammer?), probably when the bicycle was repainted years ago to the current off white color. In a previous post, I had asked about the availability of modern tools to disassemble the crank, and received helpful replies. Although I am still trying to locate period tools, now that I see these marked up slots on the rings, I am not sure having the right tools will help? Does anyone have any suggestions in order to remove the crank assembly, despite the condition of the slots?

Pics below, the third pic showing the crank chain ring shows one intact slot...the others are not as clean. The slots on the other side of the crank assembly (last pic) are buggered up...although the inside slots look a little better

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

Never had something this old, but it looks like the removal would be the same as for an old Schwinn. Only difference in the hardware is Schwinn has a lock nut securing the race/cone. And the Schwinn bearing cups are pressed in verses yours that are probably threaded, hence the two notches. That race should just unscrew I imagine. Left hand thread (maybe).

1660514187394.png

Is it possible… pics of the drive side. 🤨
Would also like to see the details of the decals from the right, about 9 patent dates, and Pope successors to some company?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies...some additional requested pics, the patent stickers and the drive side of the crank. There are no bolts on the drive side, just a pin hole for what I expect might be for one of those tools I need. However, on the last pic I did just notice the seam between the crank arm and the crank ring itself, so perhaps that arm unscrews from the crank ring...allowing that arm to be removed as a separate piece. I wish there were shop manuals available for these beasts...

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

IMG_0771.jpg

I'll try and get a better shot of the right side of the patent decals tomorrow.

Regards, Joe

Hi Barnegatbicycles...yes, I have a pic that I just took. Looks like I am missing a cap of some sort.

Regards, Joe

View attachment 1679710
I know this is true for some of the earlier Columbia cranks I have worked on: I remember having to put a flat head in the hole on the bottom to unscrew a piece inside the bb. This piece should hold the cranks together. It's kind of tricky and it's been a while for me but you hold that piece with the screwdriver ( should be a slot) and rotate the cranks to undo it. I will see if I can find a picture of this set up showing the internals.

Back