When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you clean out the rust inside the frame without removing the rust on the outside the frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Okay, one more inquiry: I'm getting ready to rebuild at least a couple Komet Super hubs, but I want to be as thorough as reasonably possible when it comes to cleaning and regreasing the parts. According to the Schwinn service manual, I don't have to take this dust cap off unless there's any sign of damage or whatever, but given how old and dirty everything is, I couldn't make a fair assessment of damage. So, I took the dust cap off 2 Komet hubs with a screwdriver, as the service manual said to do. However, doing so bent the dust caps a bit. I figure I might be able to tweak them back into shape, but I don't know. I chose not to remove the dust cap on a third hub, just in case I could clean out all the gunk using my ultrasonic cleaner.

Was it a bad idea to remove the dust caps to get to this bearing on the hubs, and can I reuse the dust cap afterwards if it turns out it's fine? Can I repair this part, and how? Or would it be better to replace it?

Okay, one more inquiry: I'm getting ready to rebuild at least a couple Komet Super hubs, but I want to be as thorough as reasonably possible when it comes to cleaning and regreasing the parts. According to the Schwinn service manual, I don't have to take this dust cap off unless there's any sign of damage or whatever, but given how old and dirty everything is, I couldn't make a fair assessment of damage. So, I took the dust cap off 2 Komet hubs with a screwdriver, as the service manual said to do. However, doing so bent the dust caps a bit. I figure I might be able to tweak them back into shape, but I don't know. I chose not to remove the dust cap on a third hub, just in case I could clean out all the gunk using my ultrasonic cleaner.
View attachment 1680121

Was it a bad idea to remove the dust caps to get to this bearing on the hubs, and can I reuse the dust cap afterwards if it turns out it's fine? Can I repair this part, and how? Or would it be better to replace it?
View attachment 1680122
I myself have never rebuilt a Komet hub, but I can’t imagine it’s much different from others. Beings it’s just a dust cap I would think you’d be fine just to straighten it and install it as long as it still feels like it fits tight.

It's thin sheet metal- it will kinda sorta form in place as it is put back on. Be gentle with it, and make sure no edges have folded back on themselves. Light rubber mallet taps and constantly check that it is going on straight.

Ok guys, I managed to get that crack welded and seal up my frame and run some ATF through it. Pretty happy with the result. I'm now on the reassembly portion of the build. I got the front wheel hub rebuilt, and it's spinning nicely, but I'm stuck on the Komet Super coaster brake hub. I've been using my ultrasonic cleaner to clean my parts, but as nice as the ultrasonic cleaner is, it's not flawless. Sometimes I get more grease and gunk off of my parts using wire brushes, the "Jet" setting on the garden hose attachment, microfiber cloths and the air compressor than I do with the USC. These Komet coaster brake parts still have some junk on them after a few heated cycles in the cleaner. But that's not my biggest concern.
205210-BftD-rusty-murray-rrbbo-2022-260.jpg

After drying everything off, I couldn't help but notice a few wear marks on the parts. And in some spots, there's this fine, metallic, grainy texture that I can't tell whether it's residual grease, patina, or wear marks. What I want to know is:
1. Are these parts still good, and
2. Can/Should I use the brass wire brush wheel on my dad's grinder to clean these up like I did the axles? 3. Also, would it be bad if there's still a little bit of old grease in the bearings when I pack them with new grease? Some of this stuff does not want to come out of the bearings. I really want to get this bike rolling again, and I'd really love to learn how to rebuilt one of these Komet Super coaster brakes while I'm at it.
205202-BftD-rusty-murray-rrbbo-2022-252.jpg

205203-BftD-rusty-murray-rrbbo-2022-253.jpg

I could really use your help here. If I can get this hub rebuilt with the parts I've got, then all I need to do is true the wheels, and I can make my bike rideable.

This bike is done! Thanks for all your help guys! Got the frame welded and coated with ATF on the inside, and I got the coaster brake working well enough for gentle cruising. Couldn't have done it without you guys! For more photos and the full story on this bike, check out the build thread here.

These guys are wrong. I have done this several times. First you find a baby wombat in Australia. You need one that is still blind. You grease it up and yell, "Go find Mama", as you poke its pointy little head inside a tube. This must be repeated until all the tubes are clean. I lock myself in the bathroom and make moaning noises to cover the excited chirping. My long-suffering wife, Poor Mary, never caught on when she broke down each of the doors because there is no woman, just a frame with clean tubes and a teetering marriage.

Last edited:

View attachment 1673610
Warning: This product is not recommened for use as a recreational lubricant. My wife has escaped every time.

Back