When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Curse of the Breezebino

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Having recovered from the SNAFU that was my previous bicycle purchasing experience as chronicled here, I sat down and decided a different plan was necessary. So I brainstormed for a minute or two, and decided that the bike my wife needed was a ladies Collegiate-- classic Schwinn styling, but with a modern derailleur in place of that antediluvian Sturmey-Archer three-speed pain-in-the-butt. So I perused FB Marketplace and Craigslist and of course found bupkis here in the bicycle desert in which I reside. But I did find a tempting example on my local OfferUp page-- it was listed as a 1959 Collegiate (I know Schwinn didn't produce a Collegiate that year, but sure as hell, that's what the serial number stamped into the dropout says).
9144d68c033949d795d543c494271767.jpg

Nothing fancy, but seemingly a good, solid bike. The only problem was that the ad was posted eleven months ago. Nonetheless, I decided to try and contact the owner Wednesday morning to see if it was still available. He responded immediately in the affirmative. Great! Could I come look at it that afternoon? Sure. Super! What's your address? Silence.

So I waited for a response.

And waited.

And waited.

I finally messaged him again about four o'clock, saying that I was still interested if it was still available. I drove home from work a little disappointed, when he finally messaged me back with a phone number to text, oh, and he wasn't sure if he still had the Collegiate. So when I got home I texted him, indicating that I was still very much interested if he still had the bike. No response.

Finally, at almost 11:00 yesterday morning, he responded; said he'd been busy, but that I was welcome to come check out the bike if I was still interested, and here's the address. So we made plans for me to meet him at the shop where the bike was located. I arrived at the shop, in a part of town that can only be described as 'gritty'. But he wasn't there yet. So I cooled my heels out on the sidewalk, hoping he'd arrive before I got mugged. Finally a tall, skinny kid on a modern cruiser rolled up. My man. He climbed off without making any eye contact, and proceeded to start going behind a myriad of chain link gates, ostensibly looking for something. I assumed he was looking for the Collegiate. After about fifteen minutes he came over to where I was standing and informed me that apparently someone had tossed the bike out. Of course. But he DID have another old bike that I could have for FREE if I wanted, as an apology for his wasting my time. I figured sure, what's the worst that could happen, it certainly won't be another OH MY GOD ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS NOT AGAIN

thumbnail_IMG_5907.jpg

Yes folks, another 24" Breeze. I think I'm cursed. I think I need to go back to collecting baseball cards, it's much less stressful.

-----

1662155256769.png

think it unlikely machine seen in first image a 1959 model

the Schwinn-Huret stem shift it wears did not launch until 1967

-----

Right-- but this serial number

View attachment 1689540

comes up as a 1959 model using the serial number look up on bikehistory.com. However, I've confirmed elsewhere that it actually has a build date of July, 1968.
In 1959 Schwinn was using a different system, first a letter for the month then the last digit of the year, then five more digits for the actual serial number. An actual 1959 bike would be marked G904276.

That SN is July 1968. GDxxxxxx.

That serial number look up is useless in many cases, and it can really lead you down the wrong path. Also fyi, the serial dates are not a build date of any kind, including a frame. The date associated to the SN is the date the number was stamped on the bike's component.

Last edited:
In 1959 Schwinn was using a different system, first a letter for the month then the last digit of the year, then five more digits for the actual serial number. An actual 1959 bike would be marked G904276.
It must be a glitch in their system, and it’s reading the ‘D’ as a ‘9’. Or something.

Back