When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 Apple Krate

-
Very nice. Here is my all original ( except tires/now have a NOS correct red line on it

, need to install the NOS Superior still) '68 I bought from a Caber. Not to crash your thread, but just for comparison. I only put the 1969 plate on it because it's red!! Ha!! Close.

Krate 1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_6247.JPG

IMG_0293.jpg

Maybe an interesting story . . I received an Apply Krate for my birthday. I do not remember if it was November 1968 or 1969. I cannot find any childhood pictures of the bike. I do know for a fact it had a silver seat. so most would think it is a 1968. However, I remember it having a front fender, at least I think so :) Also, in 1968 I would have been 9 years old, I think I got the bike when I was 10. But again, no proof. Maybe it was a leftover '68 that the Schwinn shop put a fender on?? My parents bought it new in Newark , DE. So I built a replica, silver seat with fender LOL

Maybe an interesting story . . I received an Apply Krate for my birthday. I do not remember if it was November 1968 or 1969. I cannot find any childhood pictures of the bike. I do know for a fact it had a silver seat. so most would think it is a 1968. However, I remember it having a front fender, at least I think so :) Also, in 1968 I would have been 9 years old, I think I got the bike when I was 10. But again, no proof. Maybe it was a leftover '68 that the Schwinn shop put a fender on?? My parents bought it new in Newark , DE. So I built a replica, silver seat with fender LOL
Cool memory. Thanks for sharing it with us. I think some of the later '68's may have come with fenders or a dealer added one.

There is no doubt that a bike with a December stamped serial number was built the next year. Also true for most of the November stamped serial numbered bikes, and at times even some late October dated serial numbers.

Sure, but I received the bike in November in my case, so it was built well before that. If I am right about the fender, perhaps the dealer added it to help it sell?
May be the answer. Some people's idea of a bit more "bling" or a cautious Parent concerned about Jr. catching a rock in the eye? I thought it interesting that after '68 Schwinn narrowed the width of the handlebars so young "rebels" couldn't double as easy with a pal on the bars. Ralph Nader's early influence? This brings todays "Bubble Boy" to mind.

Kids are coddled beyond reason these days and turn out to be "entitled" little farts to society, then enter politics.

If it were a November 1968 bike it was probably built in late winter/early spring 1969.
Interesting though is the one millionth Schwinn built in 1968. It had a front fender, wide bars,and an orange stripe Silverglow accessory seat according to Schwinn and the Bicycle Museum of America.
It really couldn't have been built November 1968 so you would be correct in your memory of the time frame.
I may be wrong but I thought 1969 handebars were still wide, maybe even 1 year and popular. I was thinking the really narrow bars were available from 1970 up.
I vould be wrong, and I am in the hospital right now until I can get released from my neck surgery I had yesterday. I xan check the catalogs later today.
Rob

This would most definately have the early 69 shifter
These late and early months bike are always debated. It should be noted that Schiwinn did not throw parts in that trash in November. The shifter could have made it onto the bike. But not worth an argument. I have changed parts on many bike over the last 25 years on bikes I was absolutely positve that they were original just to eliminate arguments with all the so called experts. These experts have now taken over Facebook and true correctness has died and become false dribble.

Anyhow this bike has been repainted so correctness has little meaning. Eye appeal is whats important.

Last edited:
These late and early months bike are always debated. It should be noted that Schiwinn did not throw parts in that trash in November. The shifter could have made it onto the bike. But not worth an argument. I have changes parts on many bike over the last 25 years on bike I was absoliyely positve that they were original just to eliminate arguments with all the so called experts. These experts have now taken over Facebook and true correctness has died.

Anyhow this bike has been repainted to correctness has little meaning. Eye appeal is whats important.
Even after collecting vintage bicycles going over 40 years, I'm still a "student" learning all the time. I know less about the 60's and 70's because my focus has been more "balloon era" now all over the map. Exact details are murky on all factory specs on production bikes bordering in later and early production units so to argue or claim "perfection" is an exercise in futility and a waste of time. Just enjoy what you have, or to quote a 1970's CSN&Y song, "Love the one your with".

Back