When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1955 or 1956 ? Schwinn Black Phantom

-

Picker10

Look Ma, No Hands!
Recent acquisition: This Schwinn Black Phantom serial # R03009. When checking the serial number on line, I received the message that Schwinn had used this serial number twice. Once in April of 1955 and once in November of 1956. I thought someone might know if one build date or the other was for a Black Phantom so I could nail down the date of this bike. Appreciate any input . Thanks

phantom1.jpg

phantom2.jpg

phantom3.jpg

Interesting. It doesn't have the new springer that came out in 1955, but it does have the 6 hole carrier and no light. The 56 Nov. serial number would most likely make it a 1957 built Phantom and it definitely would have the springer with the pivot bolt thru the fork legs. As far as I know the fork change was not a stop and start situation at the beginning of the 1955 production, so I'm going with the year being a 1955.

Interesting. It doesn't have the new springer that came out in 1955, but it does have the 6 hole carrier and no light. The 56 Nov. serial number would most likely make it a 1957 built Phantom and it definitely would have the springer with the pivot bolt thru the fork legs. As far as I know the fork change was not a stop and start situation at the beginning of the 1955 production, so I'm going with the year being a 1955.
Thank you very much. I'll go with 1955

Wasn't a locking fork an option on a 55 ? Otherwise, the pivot bolt would go through the fork, so a 55 could have either fork.
Yes the locking fork was an option for the 1955 phantom. All the phantoms through 1954 came standard with a locking fork. This one doesn’t have a locking fork. The situation here has shown up more than once over the years, so it seems the 55 phantoms were mixed with both styles of forks.

Last edited:
Back