When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how many Cabers have ridden 100 miles on a bike all at once?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Our plan was to ride from Crowmarsh Gifford (South Oxfordshire) to Hillingdon Cycle Circuit (West London) on Sunday 25th September, 2022.

We wanted to watch the 'Penny Farthing' racing being staged by the Pickwick Bicycle Club (England's/The world's oldest extant cycling club, founded 1870).
This was only around an 80 mile round trip though, so I realised that I needed to get some more miles in before meeting my two friends at the official start point.

I set off on the singlespeed 1907 'Cycles Morot' early and did a 13 mile loop, it was cold.....
20220925_075118.jpg

...I then met Francis (left) and Peter (right) in Crowmarsh.
We decided to start here to set off for the racing. I think the item on the cottage wall behind them tells you why we chose this point.....
20220925_083956.jpg

...we ascended our first hill before heading through Henley-on-Thames and then another big hill out of the town before hitting the relatively flat countryside west of London.
Eventually riding through Windsor and within feet of Windsor Castle before eventually travelling along busy suburban roads and arriving at the Cycle Circuit.
The Circuit is a 1 mile long closed road criterium circuit, lovely smooth tarmac surface with twists turns and undulations; perfect for cycle racing.
Spectators were permitted to ride the course before and between the racing, so I took the opportunity to add another 2 miles to my tally before the races began.

There were two races to watch.
Firstly, a short race for original 'Penny's'. Here are the riders listening to the race marshall before the start.....
20220925_134812.jpg

...this is what they were racing for, one of the oldest cycling trophies in existence.....
20220925_140155.jpg

...racers coming through.....
20220925_140515.jpg

...between the races I was offered the chance to get another 2 miles added on this.....
20220925_141902.jpg

20220925_141905.jpg

...for those that don't know, it's an 1898 'Alpha Bantam', singlespeed/fixed gear, with an epicyclic front hub, that equates to a 66 inch gear, despite those little wheels.
It's a very twitchy steering ride, and unlike a 'Penny', it doesn't get more stable as you get up to speed!

The second race was for modern replica 'Penny's' and had a much larger field of entrants.....
20220925_144415.jpg

...this race was for half an hours duration, plus two laps of the circuit.
Here's the winner, taking the chequered flag.....
20220925_152740.jpg

We set off for home via a different route, taking us inititally for around 10 miles along the Grand Union Canal.....
20220925_161401.jpg

...after some hours, including two hours riding in the dark along busy roads I eventually arrived back home. I had to do another little post ride loop on familiar lanes to make up the final mileage.
103+ miles to the good, a little tired, and with a few minor aches.
I've joined the 'Century Club' fellow riders.

I have much respect for all of the other members.

Ride on!

Last edited:
Ride on, Darren!
Good for you, and your mates.
Epic doesn’t even begin to describe the day you had.
Super jealous, of your cycling scene over there.
Thanks for the report.
Reading that, just made my day.😃
Many thanks Marty.
I can't tell you how tired I felt when riding the 11 miles to work on the following morning (yesterday) though.
It was indeed great fun, my two friends are fellow V-CC members and great company on a ride.
Both interesting and erudite, they helped the day pass very easily.

Awesome!!!
Glad you set your goals and followed all the way through.
Congratulations!

Marty and Pete and i have rode some together, but nothing too big.
Pace all day, seems different for each rider.
...and ima-goof-ball, honking my horn and waving at everybody.😊

DSC_4621.jpg

Thanks for sharing a memorable day of cycling fun @dnc1 !! Congratulations to you and your mates!🥳 Much respect. It looks like you took full advantage of every opportunity for 2 wheel fun! Beyond epic....

I was pulling for the headless dude (#2) in the modern replica class but can see the huge aero advantage of the winners disc wheel. 🤣🤣

Double thumbs up Darren~! A fine looking ride and group. Maybe a "rest" day well deserved? ~💯~
Cheers Pete.
I'm still taking part in a fundraising challenge for the Royal Brompton Hospital that saved my life two years ago.
No rest days until next Tuesday at the earliest!

Awesome!!!
Glad you set your goals and followed all the way through.
Congratulations!

Marty and Pete and i have rode some together, but nothing too big.
Pace all day, seems different for each rider.
...and ima-goof-ball, honking my horn and waving at everybody.😊
Thanks Mark, may you keep honking that horn for a very long time to come!

View attachment 1702774
Thanks Mark.
May you keep honking that horn, smiling and waving for many, many moons to come!

Thanks for sharing a memorable day of cycling fun @dnc1 !! Congratulations to you and your mates!🥳 Much respect. It looks like you took full advantage of every opportunity for 2 wheel fun! Beyond epic....

I was pulling for the headless dude (#2) in the modern replica class but can see the huge aero advantage of the winners disc wheel. 🤣🤣
Thankyou Sir.
It was fun.

Those aero wheels surprised me too; I think three of the riders were using them so there must be something in it! Haha.

Our plan was to ride from Crowmarsh Gifford (South Oxfordshire) to Hillingdon Cycle Circuit (West London) on Sunday 25th September, 2022.

We wanted to watch the 'Penny Farthing' racing being staged by the Pickwick Bicycle Club (England's/The world's oldest extant cycling club, founded 1870).
This was only around an 80 mile round trip though, so I realised that I needed to get some more miles in before meeting my two friends at the official start point.

I set off on the singlespeed 1907 'Cycles Morot' early and did a 13 mile loop, it was cold.....
View attachment 1702673

...I then met Francis (left) and Peter (right) in Crowmarsh.
We decided to start here to set off for the racing. I think the item on the cottage wall behind them tells you why we chose this point.....
View attachment 1702674

...we ascended our first hill before heading through Henley-on-Thames and then another big hill out of the town before hitting the relatively flat countryside west of London.
Eventually riding through Windsor and within feet of Windsor Castle before eventually travelling along busy suburban roads and arriving at the Cycle Circuit.
The Circuit is a 1 mile long closed road criterium circuit, lovely smooth tarmac surface with twists turns and undulations; perfect for cycle racing.
Spectators were permitted to ride the course before and between the racing, so I took the opportunity to add another 2 miles to my tally before the races began.

There were two races to watch.
Firstly, a short race for original 'Penny's'. Here are the riders listening to the race marshall before the start.....
View attachment 1702680

...this is what they were racing for, one of the oldest cycling trophies in existence.....
View attachment 1702682

...racers coming through.....
View attachment 1702684

...between the races I was offered the chance to get another 2 miles added on this.....
View attachment 1702691

View attachment 1702692

...for those that don't know, it's an 1898 'Alpha Bantam', singlespeed/fixed gear, with an epicyclic front hub, that equates to a 66 inch gear, despite those little wheels.
It's a very twitchy steering ride, and unlike a 'Penny', it doesn't get more stable as you get up to speed!

The second race was for modern replica 'Penny's' and had a much larger field of entrants.....
View attachment 1702694

...this race was for half an hours duration, plus two laps of the circuit.
Here's the winner, taking the chequered flag.....
View attachment 1702695

We set off for home via a different route, taking us inititally for around 10 miles along the Grand Union Canal.....
View attachment 1702696

...after some hours, including two hours riding in the dark along busy roads I eventually arrived back home. I had to do another little post ride loop on familiar lanes to make up the final mileage.
103+ miles to the good, a little tired, and with a few minor aches.
I've joined the 'Century Club' fellow riders.

I have much respect for all of the other members.

Ride on!
Bump this up for new found friend @Eddie_Boy to check out.
Darren @dnc1 has most current Century.
Ride on indeed....🥳

My son, 42 yo, and a friend, took a train from Manhattan to Montoc, NY with their bicycles. My son had a fixie, his friend had an ultra high end Italian road racer. They didn’t realize there was a century ride there so they became pirates and rode along. My son rode like they did in the 1890s and occasionally coasted with his feet off this pedals. They didn’t have arm bands so the bus wouldn’t take them back and they couldn’t get a cab, it was very busy. No rooms either. The cops wouldn’t let them on the train with bicycles as it was too busy. Their plan was to get arrested so they could spend the night in jail. Fortunately two guys in a truck gave them a ride back to Manhattan. He rides his 1920s wood wheeled fixed fear track bike about twice a year from Calumet to Marquette, Michigan. That’s 120 miles, one way.

Back