When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Haven't seen one like this. JC Higgins SN - How do I decode?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

madpixl

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked this up as my first restore.... Missing a couple spokes, and for and tank have been painted years ago. Nothing is ruined, but is the seat orgininal? Also, came with an ancient trainer... see pic. Any thoughts, has this been modified? How do I decode SN?

bike.jpg

24 inch wheels?
Either the tank isn't original or bars and seat have been added.
Serial number should be on the LH rear drop out. If I remember right the first section of digits are the model number.
There are digital forms of the Sears, jc Penney, and Wards catalogs posted online. Nothing organized enough to search by model number, but if you search for "bicycle" on their site and go year by year, you'll eventually come across your model number in the catalog text(that is not digitized) and get an idea of what parts were originally installed.

24 inch wheels?
Either the tank isn't original or bars and seat have been added.
Serial number should be on the LH rear drop out. If I remember right the first section of digits are the model number.
There are digital forms of the Sears, jc Penney, and Wards catalogs posted online. Nothing organized enough to search by model number, but if you search for "bicycle" on their site and go year by year, you'll eventually come across your model number in the catalog text(that is not digitized) and get an idea of what parts were originally installed.

C76BA704-4BC4-4D36-BD66-AAE648D0EB8B.jpeg

13398D72-A9B0-4955-804E-ED80E0AB30BF.jpeg

1A1C3FF8-0180-4ED1-BF81-95D9F9FFDB37.jpeg

Asked on what I read from other SN queries you are in agreement with the first 3 digits. The seat has no marking I saw but could be from another bike… So far found battery area corroded and poopty repaint of tank and front fork Other than that, the paint is a little rough but almost no rust. Hitting with vinegar WD and lighter fluid. I just want to clean it, repack the bearings and see how it rides… else I could part it out, but saw another with the trainer, so wondering my next step.

17C6F144-3FD9-4562-AE57-C6388E12F891.jpeg

It's also missing the plastic shroud on the chainring, the seat was probably red w/silver trim, the front fender might of had a plastic rocket ornament. The Liner and Flyer models depending which one had different trim and ornaments.

20220424_102029.jpg

20220424_102019.jpg

20220423_180224.jpg

20220423_180149.jpg

20220424_102033.jpg

20220424_095219.jpg

Last edited:
Back