When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Member Intro and a 1942? Snyder Built Black Beauty Ballooner

-
Some progress...got the rear hub cleaned and rebuilt and a new tire mounted. I'm a little bummed I haven't been able to find a set of the original chain tread tires, but I found some cool reproduction Schwinn Typhoon Cords from @cokertireco (these are fairly old new stock they still have in inventory). Waiting on a new axle and axle nuts for the front hub.

Some progress...got the rear hub cleaned and rebuilt and a new tire mounted. I'm a little bummed I haven't been able to find a set of the original chain tread tires, but I found some cool reproduction Schwinn Typhoon Cords from @cokertireco (these are fairly old new stock they still have in inventory). Waiting on a new axle and axle nuts for the front hub.View attachment 1711265

View attachment 1711266

View attachment 1711267

View attachment 1711268
I have 4 sets of these tires and have had one problem with one tire bead not seating properly that the tire blew out along the bead.. These tires seem to work best on s2 rims as the beads are dry and crumbly when mounting other wise these are really nice tires...

Some progress...got the rear hub cleaned and rebuilt and a new tire mounted. I'm a little bummed I haven't been able to find a set of the original chain tread tires, but I found some cool reproduction Schwinn Typhoon Cords from @cokertireco (these are fairly old new stock they still have in inventory). Waiting on a new axle and axle nuts for the front hub.View attachment 1711265

View attachment 1711266

View attachment 1711267

View attachment 1711268
John is out of Chain Treads?

I have 4 sets of these tires and have had one problem with one tire bead not seating properly that the tire blew out along the bead.. These tires seem to work best on s2 rims as the beads are dry and crumbly when mounting other wise these are really nice tires...
I noticed the same. I ended up swapping that tire to the front rim and it's holding. I was careful inflating them slowly and making sure the bead was even all the way around both sides. If I was going to ride this bike more than up and down the street, I'd probably find some different shoes for it. I won't put more than 25 psi in them.

I noticed the same. I ended up swapping that tire to the front rim and it's holding. I was careful inflating them slowly and making sure the bead was even all the way around both sides. If I was going to ride this bike more than up and down the street, I'd probably find some different shoes for it. I won't put more than 25 psi in them.
I put around 40-45 psi on my tires and they ride great.. I like a little firmer ride and they pedal alot easier too... Your Black Beauty is coming along ways since you started.. RideOn...

Back