When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

More Spring Cleaning

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The saddle is stable and the springs are much better than the cheap-o $40 saddles you see on eBay. The metal parts are about on a par with the Brooks. The leather is not as soft as a Brooks is out of the box. Hopefully it will break in - I definitely notice it's harder than a new Brooks when I'm riding it.

A neighbor very kindly gave me the 1968 Raleigh Sports he had owned since he received it brand new. It's always nice when people do something like that, and it's a nice change of pace from all the bad stuff we hear today. It was certainly a bright spot of my summer.
So over the course of the summer and fall, I cleaned up the bike and returned it to form. It was basically all there. A few parts needed replacing, but it's in nice shape. I got it back onto the road just in time for a couple rides at the end of the season. I have some temporary LED lights on it now, but I'll do a better set of retro lights over the winter.

20221104_172613.jpg

20221104_172627.jpg

-----

A neighbor very kindly gave me the 1968 Raleigh Sports he had owned since he received it brand new. It's always nice when people do something like that, and it's a nice change of pace from all the bad stuff we hear today. It was certainly a bright spot of my summer.
So over the course of the summer and fall, I cleaned up the bike and returned it to form. It was basically all there. A few parts needed replacing, but it's in nice shape. I got it back onto the road just in time for a couple rides at the end of the season. I have some temporary LED lights on it now, but I'll do a better set of retro lights over the winter.

View attachment 1726238

View attachment 1726239

appears you may have fitted a larger than OEM cog...or maybe it just me auld peepers tricking me again! 😉

-----

-----

appears you may have fitted a larger than OEM cog...or maybe it just me auld peepers tricking me again! 😉

-----

I just noticed I missed this post from November. I haven't been checking here as much with riding season over until spring.

You are right about that - the rear cog is a 22-tooth Sturmey. 48 in front, 22 in back helps with hill climbing.

Waiting for spring still... But there are some indoor projects to be done. I'm building wheels for Raleigh and Schwinn bikes. Awhile back, I was lucky enough to get three sets of new-old stock S6 Schwinn rims. This is the last of those three sets - laced with Torrington spokes to a Sturmey AW alloy hub from 1953 and a Schwinn script front hub.

20230122_170934.jpg

20230122_170953.jpg

20230122_171007.jpg

After this, I am going to dip into used rims. I've got some S6 used rims to look over, pre-war Lobdell lightweights, Dunlop Special Lightweights, and Raleigh Westricks. I am not sure I will build all of those up, but I've got my work cut out for me in terms of building wheels.

Back