When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Facebook scam

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimScott

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Watch this guy... he's running a Friends and Family scam off of FB. He became quite potty mouth when I called him out on it. Beware guys.

1950 Schwinn Black Phantom frame,crank,chainguard, and rear carrier vintage bike parts
$95
Listed 8 hours ago in Louisville, TN

Message Again

Details
  • Condition
    Used - Fair
Up for sale is this 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom frame and everything else pictured. The carrier and crank are repop. $95. Local cash sale only. Located in Alcoa,Tennessee. Thanks for your interest.
Louisville, TN
Location is approximate

Seller information​

Seller details

CJ William
Vintage and Antique Bicycles for Sale

(7)

Joined Facebook in 2020

fb scsam.jpg

Saw that ad...............Thanks for the heads up !!!
If I'm not mistaken wasn't it listed on The CABE also ??

Watch this guy... he's running a Friends and Family scam off of FB. He became quite potty mouth when I called him out on it. Beware guys.

1950 Schwinn Black Phantom frame,crank,chainguard, and rear carrier vintage bike parts
$95
Listed 8 hours ago in Louisville, TN

Message Again

Details
  • Condition
    Used - Fair
Up for sale is this 1950 Schwinn Black Phantom frame and everything else pictured. The carrier and crank are repop. $95. Local cash sale only. Located in Alcoa,Tennessee. Thanks for your interest.
Louisville, TN
Location is approximate

Seller information​

Seller details

CJ William
Vintage and Antique Bicycles for Sale

(7)

Joined Facebook in 2020

View attachment 1727190
Almost sent that to a friend...

It says local cash sale only. So how is it a scam? Do you have proof?
I'm not a member of that group so I can't see the original post, but going by what you copied and pasted, nothing about it looks like a scam.
Please elaborate.

It says local cash sale only. So how is it a scam? Do you have proof?
I'm not a member of that group so I can't see the original post, but going by what you copied and pasted, nothing about it looks like a scam.
Please elaborate.
I asked if he shipped, he said yes immediately quoted me $100 without knowing my zip code. From willing to ship to immediately wanting to use PPFF instead of cash (or the dozen other payment methods) I told him no that I'd pay PPGS since PPFF offers no purchase protection for me in case the deal went south. This makes zero difference to the seller at all, he immediately got cold feet and began to name call. The whole experience stunk of a scam.

I know of this seller from a mutual friend in that area. He's legit and probably figures if he advertises cash in person only but someone prefers PayPal without seeing the frame in person then he wants to cover himself if that buyer files a claim out of buyer's remorse, etc. At least he is willing to ship when his ad clearly says local cash sale only!

I asked if he shipped, he said yes immediately quoted me $100 without knowing my zip code. From willing to ship to immediately wanting to use PPFF instead of cash (or the dozen other payment methods) I told him no that I'd pay PPGS since PPFF offers no purchase protection for me in case the deal went south. This makes zero difference to the seller at all, he immediately got cold feet and began to name call. The whole experience stunk of a scam.
When I used to ship things I only accepted ppff or usps money order. Does that make me a scammer? No, it does not. Everyone that bought from me received what they paid for.
While ppg&s may offer the buyer protection, it does not offer seller protection. Sellers can, and have been screwed over because with G&S, paypal forces you to accept returns. (Last I checked, I'm not walmart and don't have a return policy.) See, Paypal doesn't care if you return the item, or simply fill the box with rocks, return that, and keep the item and the money. That, my friend, makes a huge difference to the seller.

As far as the $100 shipping, I can only speculate. Shipping costs have increased significantly in the last couple years. Not everyone can get free boxes from the local bike shop, some shops charge for them. Plus other supplies are required if you don't want it bouncing around and getting damaged. If your fb profile shows the city and or state you are in, he wouldn't need your zipcode anyway.

I will say this. It can be risky to use ppff and as such you should limit those kind of deals to sellers you trust. However as I mentioned above it can be risky for a seller to accept G&S. Myself and many other cabers have only accepted f&f for some time, so please don't make us all look bad with your baseless claims. Please also remember that you were asking for shipping when the ad clearly stated cash & pick up only. He offered you an option that you didn't like. That does not equal a scam.
If you don't feel comfortable, then don't do the deal. But there was no reason to blast him on here and potentially ruin his reputation because you are uncomfortable with it.

When I used to ship things I only accepted ppff or usps money order. Does that make me a scammer? No, it does not. Everyone that bought from me received what they paid for.
While ppg&s may offer the buyer protection, it does not offer seller protection. Sellers can, and have been screwed over because with G&S, paypal forces you to accept returns. (Last I checked, I'm not walmart and don't have a return policy.) See, Paypal doesn't care if you return the item, or simply fill the box with rocks, return that, and keep the item and the money. That, my friend, makes a huge difference to the seller.

As far as the $100 shipping, I can only speculate. Shipping costs have increased significantly in the last couple years. Not everyone can get free boxes from the local bike shop, some shops charge for them. Plus other supplies are required if you don't want it bouncing around and getting damaged. If your fb profile shows the city and or state you are in, he wouldn't need your zipcode anyway.

I will say this. It can be risky to use ppff and as such you should limit those kind of deals to sellers you trust. However as I mentioned above it can be risky for a seller to accept G&S. Myself and many other cabers have only accepted f&f for some time, so please don't make us all look bad with your baseless claims. Please also remember that you were asking for shipping when the ad clearly stated cash & pick up only. He offered you an option that you didn't like. That does not equal a scam.
If you don't feel comfortable, then don't do the deal. But there was no reason to blast him on here and potentially ruin his reputation because you are uncomfortable with it.
You said it how it is.that is exactly why I won't take a goods and services payment.people thinking it's the extra fees isn't the case. Too easy for the seller to get screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back