When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chicago Stockyard March-Davis Steer Horn Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jesse McCauley

McCauley Cycle Works
Ca. 1896 March-Davis "The March" with period custom steer horn handlebars.
The lore surrounding these bars is that they originate from the Chicago stockyard tradition in the 1890's. For this reason I used a Chicago built bike from the same period to feature these killer horns.

There are a number of supporting details to validate the claim that these are indeed ca. 1896 Chicago made handlebars.
Chicago and particularly the Union Stock Yard would have been a very fitting environment to show off such a fashionable bicycle accessory and the horns themselves would have been readily available.
The stem itself is from Turner Brass Works which is also a Chicago company. This 1896 advert for their company shows the same stem and my suspicion is Turner Brass itself modified the stem in-house for the commission.

Thus far I have seen one poor quality period image of a Butcher with a safety bicycle outfitted similarly, reportedly also from Chicago, but the original photo is not at my disposal to study.

March Davis with Steerhorns2.jpg

March Davis with Steerhorns 1.jpg

Steerhorn closeup2.jpg

MD Steerhorn side profile2.jpg

March badge.jpg

Crankset MD bike.jpg

Hunt saddle.jpg

Chicago Union Stock Yard.jpg

1896 Turner Brass Works stem .jpg

Closeup Chicago Butcher Steer Horn Bars.jpg

Wow, that is a remarkable piece of research to find the photo to match the bars. What an eye catcher they would have been for a butchers delivery boy to ride up and drop off the order. Or riding these in a parade in a butchers or some related fraternal/union group. The rider would have caused a stir whatever the occasion. Makes me think of the many custom cars with western theme sixshooter door handles, horns on the hood, etc.

In an effort to add to group scholarship I have a little update.
This comes courtesy of Lorne Shields and Gertjan Moed of the Velorama Museum in the Netherlands.

There is another surviving pair of steer horn handlebars in the Velorama Museum as well as the photo which I have shown at the start of my thread showing a butcher and his machine. The story goes that a butcher who produced this style of handlebar relocated to Chicago, IL from Valkenburg in the Netherlands and continued to refine his craft and sell handlebars. That would explain the distinct difference in bicycle tech between the two known sets of bars connected to Chicago and potentially the 'Butcher from Valkenburg.'

Velorama Musuem Pamphlet Showing Steerhorn Handlebar.jpg

Steer Horn Butcher .jpg

Velorama Example Steer Horn Bars.jpg

“The Butcher from Valkenburg.”
Sounds like a good title for a book about the coexistence of bicycle manufacturers in the meat packing district of 1890’s Chicago.

Man!
I can just smell the scene down there.
Cutting fluid and welding torches mixed in with the daily slaughter of livestock.
Whisker Row and Cigars at night to count the money made by day.
No heath plan or pension funds for those workers.
Keep your fingers on your hands, boy!
Because you’re going to need them!
See what that wonderful old bicycle has done, Jesse?
Now I’m making up stories in my head, about the “Butcher from Valkenburg.” Lol!
Thanks, for the update.
I absolutely love it!

Back