When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schwinn Debutante...I'm a Glutton for Punishment...

-
I miss the one owner 61 I found five minutes from my house, 100 percent original bike. Yours should clean up nicely.

64B95A5A-461B-4384-B95B-712D85C86B5F.jpeg

This Debutante is proving to be a real bitch...at least on her neck 😉. The bolt is stuck and just won't budge. No problem loosening the ring, but that !@#$%^ bolt really has me angry. I'll try again tomorrow taking off the front wheel and shootingWD-40 into the head tube.

I have the headlights (bottom section) soaking in Evapo-Rust tonight along with a few bolts. But I don't think there's any way I can straighten out that front rack. That took some hit! To bad...😕

Fenders are more pitted than I had thought, and if I can't get the paint to come back decently, I'm going to start saving parts (wheels, handlebars, etc.) that I'll strip off. Too bad. I had higher hopes for this girl.😟

IMG_2505.jpeg

IMG_2509.jpeg

IMG_2510.jpeg

IMG_2511.jpeg

I know what you mean. I recently had a stem stuck in the fork that was a real M%^&$#. WD40, penetrating oil, rubber mallet for about 15 minutes at a time for three or four days. I was ready to give up. Wala, day five, another whack and it came out. I felt like Rocky running up the steps.

I know what you mean. I recently had a stem stuck in the fork that was a real M%^&$#. WD40, penetrating oil, rubber mallet for about 15 minutes at a time for three or four days. I was ready to give up. Wala, day five, another whack and it came out. I felt like Rocky running up the steps.

It's the bolt in the stem that won't turn. I'll try again today, but I'm not to hopeful. 😟

I don't think there's any way I can straighten out that front rack. That took some hit! To bad...😕
I had a similar situation, it is nearly impossible to counteract the impact it took to damage mine. I could not brace it in any way in order to straighten it out. Maybe try running it over in the opposite direction that it was damaged hahahah

-----

rack -

it looks like the cold-setting force required to move it back toward alignment might be adequate to break loose one or more of the crossbar welds

---

stem -

just stay in there with your favourite penetrating oil and give it some taps every few days

may take a fortnight but it will eventually free up without you doing any permanent harm to it

it could be a two-stage process; once you get the expander free the stem itself may also be seized...patience

-----

Back