When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

way too many flakes and cancellations on my Craigslist sales. humans suck.

-
The worst one I had was the guy was really interested in this 5 speed stingray of mine. We had scheduled a time, and he ended up running 3 hours late. He was driving 6 hours round trip, so I figured he was prepared for the sale. He shows up and likes the bike, and even rides it around. He said he liked it, and that he didn't have any money.... He did have a broken macbook that he would trade. He said it was a good one, but needed some kind of repair. I said if it is so good, then he can go sell that and get me the money I was looking for. He left and I never heard back from him.
I usually have a great time buying stuff off of craigslist, and selling stuff is a bit sketchy sometimes. I have a terrible time selling off of facebook marketplace, as everyone ghosts me, or wants things for next to nothing.

I think they key to success on Craigslist is to come here and complain about it. just sold my Cruiser 5 last night with 2 people interested. I had it listed since June or so, starting at $450.00 and received no calls. I took $300.00 which is actually a fair price assuming nobody is buying the overpriced Bay Area Schwinns that are currently listed.

the guy brought his other one with him with aluminum rims and Phil wood hubs front and rear, along with some sort of BMX rim brakes. he was 73 and looked like an old roadie, very fit. he had Klunker 5 and a fenderless 49 Hawthorne "Klunker" as well.
I woulda bought that when you first listed it had you been willing to ship 😄

I think they key to success on Craigslist is to come here and complain about it. just sold my Cruiser 5 last night with 2 people interested. I had it listed since June or so, starting at $450.00 and received no calls. I took $300.00 which is actually a fair price assuming nobody is buying the overpriced Bay Area Schwinns that are currently listed.

the guy brought his other one with him with aluminum rims and Phil wood hubs front and rear, along with some sort of BMX rim brakes. he was 73 and looked like an old roadie, very fit. he had Klunker 5 and a fenderless 49 Hawthorne "Klunker" as well.
Can’t give away old bikes here. No one wants them. Funny how different areas are. Your bike might sell for $50 here on Craig’s list, if someone is willing to travel 4-7 hours round trip. Two years ago and last year I bought two bicycles on Craigslist. $50 for the first one. The first one I threw the frame and fork in the scrap trailer. I kept the parts for a 50s Columbia springer build. This was a 200 mile round trip. The second one was $40 and was 300 mile round trip. I only wanted the fork, the rest went into the scrap trailer. Five years ago I bought a $40 seventy fifth anniversary Schwinn cruiser that was a summer cabin bike, looked new. All I wanted was the radio so I sold it for $50 to a bike shop owner. People don’t ask much because of the distance. Sometimes they ask a few hundred if they are in no hurry to get them out of the way but when they don’t sell they usually withdraw them. The only bikes that sell here are almost bran new better mountain bikes. People want the newest and best so they flip to others who just want to spend $3000+ for a good newer mountain bike, which is a bargain. Used high end old or almost new road bikes don’t sell well here either. Those usually go out on flea bait. Then you have to pack it up. Old bikes have been harder to find here the last few years, but I see them almost every time I look on craigslist. Unfortunately our local Craigslist area includes all of the upper peninsula of Michigan, half of the lower peninsula of Michigan and the northern half of Wisconsin. Way way too far to go for a look. I almost went and looked at a cheap loop tail but it was 200 miles one way, still in the Upper Peninsula. Seems like putting a bike chained to your mailbox with a for sale sign is the easiest way to sell here, as long as it’s cheap. Most mailbox bikes are free. Two summers ago I got a free Schwinn Paramount road bike hanging on a mail box. The mailman told me about it. All it needed was new tires. I’ve bought some off of mailboxes. Of course you have to have a mail box in front of your house on a highway with traffic. My mail box is located two miles of dead end gravel away from my house. So it’s different selling where there are people and where people want something besides used newer high end mountain bikes.

Last edited:
I woulda bought that when you first listed it had you been willing to ship 😄
yeah I really need to man up and start shipping bikes so I can sell them to the good folks here on the Cabe.

I shipped all sorts of crazy stuff on ebay before they destroyed the vintage car parts sales with that ''fits" nonsense. I did 49 - 54 Chevrolet stuff and there were 4 or 5 other sellers doing the exact same thing, now there are no serious sellers of car parts like that. shipped more than a few car doors using cut up refrigerator boxes. parted 5 cars and sold every last part. those days are long gone 😩

yeah I really need to man up and start shipping bikes so I can sell them to the good folks here on the Cabe.

I shipped all sorts of crazy stuff on ebay before they destroyed the vintage car parts sales with that ''fits" nonsense. I did 49 - 54 Chevrolet stuff and there were 4 or 5 other sellers doing the exact same thing, now there are no serious sellers of car parts like that. shipped more than a few car doors using cut up refrigerator boxes. parted 5 cars and sold every last part. those days are long gone 😩
Those E-bay days are definetly gone. Their search engine is worthless. now Sometimes I do a search for my own items and can't even find them myself! There can now be an entire month and somethings don't even get one view! It's like E-bay website is designed by a roomful of monkeys. In the dark..

Can’t give away old bikes here. No one wants them. Funny how different areas are. Your bike might sell for $50 here on Craig’s list, if someone is willing to travel 4-7 hours round trip. Two years ago and last year I bought two bicycles on Craigslist. $50 for the first one. The first one I threw the frame and fork in the scrap trailer. I kept the parts for a 50s Columbia springer build. This was a 200 mile round trip. The second one was $40 and was 300 mile round trip. I only wanted the fork, the rest went into the scrap trailer. Five years ago I bought a $40 seventy fifth anniversary Schwinn cruiser that was a summer cabin bike, looked new. All I wanted was the radio so I sold it for $50 to a bike shop owner. People don’t ask much because of the distance. Sometimes they ask a few hundred if they are in no hurry to get them out of the way but when they don’t sell they usually withdraw them. The only bikes that sell here are almost bran new better mountain bikes. People want the newest and best so they flip to others who just want to spend $3000+ for a good newer mountain bike, which is a bargain. Used high end old or almost new road bikes don’t sell well here either. Those usually go out on flea bait. Then you have to pack it up. Old bikes have been harder to find here the last few years, but I see them almost every time I look on craigslist. Unfortunately our local Craigslist area includes all of the upper peninsula of Michigan, half of the lower peninsula of Michigan and the northern half of Wisconsin. Way way too far to go for a look. I almost went and looked at a cheap loop tail but it was 200 miles one way, still in the Upper Peninsula. Seems like putting a bike chained to your mailbox with a for sale sign is the easiest way to sell here, as long as it’s cheap. Most mailbox bikes are free. Two summers ago I got a free Schwinn Paramount road bike hanging on a mail box. The mailman told me about it. All it needed was new tires. I’ve bought some off of mailboxes. Of course you have to have a mail box in front of your house on a highway with traffic. My mail box is located two miles of dead end gravel away from my house. So it’s different selling where there are people and where people want something besides used newer high end mountain bikes.
You're not kidding though! I got flown out to MI a few weeks ago for work and was stunned at the number of cheap old bikes. If I wasn't with my boss I would have taken a half day to rent a car and find some boxes.

Has anyone else had any issues with a guy going by the name "ed mayo" online?

On Facebook? That name rings a bell.

Back