When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940 New World with a Bayliss-Wiley rear hub.

-
That Huret Alvit derailleur is pretty good from what I've read. You can look it up on Disreali Gears.
Did you get that Cyclo twin wire? Those went from the 20s to the 50s. Right in front of the "Cyclo Bham" stamping on the derailleur idler arm is the year it was made. Dirt over it in the pics.

That Huret Alvit derailleur is pretty good from what I've read. You can look it up on Disreali Gears.
Did you get that Cyclo twin wire? Those went from the 20s to the 50s. Right in front of the "Cyclo Bham" stamping on the derailleur idler arm is the year it was made. Dirt over it in the pics.

These Huret Allvits with that particular jockey wheel cage (1st edition) replaced the old Simplex? pieces on the Continentals in mid 1961. I was looking for one of those for my May 61 serial numbered Corvette 5 speed and a NOS piece in the box showed up on eBay in maybe 2009. I was going to throw in a last-minute bid but during the week the price quickly creeped up way past my max. It sold for over $900!!!! And I followed the sale afterwards, it went to Japan and the new owner was a Huret collector.

Somebody else made an offer and the seller accepted, so I missed out on that one. But thanks for the information, that's good to know!

@PatrickZ, I took some close-ups of the chain stay and there's some marks that may have been left by the derailleur, but it's hard to say for sure. On the other hand, the top tube has a very distinct mark where the shifter may have been clamped. And I apologize for the first picture being a little out of focus, getting my phone to focus where I want it is a skill I'm still trying to master.

View attachment 1735548

View attachment 1735549

View attachment 1735550
I agree there is nothing conclusive on the chain stay in these photos to indicate a clamp-on derailleur. Like others have said, you can't go wrong restoring and leaving the current Huret in place. It's part of the bike's history by now anyway.

Back