When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Minty 1980 Schwinn Cruiser 5 pick-up

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The gumwalls only came on the Deluxe ( springer ), WW on the others.
I would not be too sure of that mrg and not to argue wit U as I know U no way more than I. However, I use-to have a small collection of photos, of original Deluxe Cruisers, mint or near mint. Especially, one that came from a Schwinn management officer, like mint original that had Studded knobby white walls.
Those are on an older hard drive that the dam thing will not communicate with my current computer.
They were a lot cheaper 10-12 years ago and I was looking for one, and that Schwinn member's bike was tops best of all I'd seen. Never forget it went for $200 or less. Still kicking myself for passing it up yet, Collector's were passing them for Cruiser 5's while I thought the Deluxe was bargain cheap sleepers and still do.
Plus, the others I had noted, most all had Studded white walls too.

Hey Jammer nice find !, I'm the one that bought the NOS 24 Cruiser's, Tires on them are Carlisle's which made the Schwinn Studded Balloon Tire.
Whitewalls would be the stock look, Gumwalls would look nice Too ! ... There is a Knobby Whitewall tire available that is 65psi, they ride nice !
26 x 2.125 Knobby Gumwall's are available on eBay ... Look up Wanda 1075A 26 x 2.125
Wait, what? I want to get this straight as I have an 81 24" Down Cruiser and has a old set of Carlisle's really good tread but white is cracking, still holding air and rolling well with plenty life to go,. I've been under the impression they are a replacement set, but are you citing that my set would be original factory stock?

Last edited:
I've learned nothing is set in stone, especially tires, between factory maybe not having enough of the correct inventory and putting on what they had ( it's Friday, ship those bikes out! ) to pre production & special requests but also the bike shop would swap out different tires to make a sale!

I've learned nothing is set in stone, especially tires, between factory maybe not having enough of the correct inventory and putting on what they had ( it's Friday, ship those bikes out! ) to pre production & special requests but also the bike shop would swap out different tires to make a sale!
True that.

Wait, what? I want to get this straight as I have an 81 24" Down Cruiser and has a old set of Carlisle's really good tread but white is cracking, still holding air and rolling well with plenty life to go,. I've been under the impression they are a replacement set, but are you citing that my set would be original factory stock?
Schwinn Never made a Studded Balloon Whitewall Tire in 24" x 2.125 or 20" x 2.125
The period 24" x 2.125" Whitewall Tire was Carlisle and Uniroyal Knobby with the Studded Balloon Tread Pattern. The 20 " Cruiser had Schwinn Sting-ray Studded Tires.

Last edited:
Seems like the earlier 24's had ( 78-to sometime in 79 ) Uni's and later ones Carlisle's as far as the ones I've owned and others I've noticed.

Last edited:
Seems like the earlier 24's had ( 78-to sometime in 79 ) Uni's and later ones Carlisle's as far as the ones I've owned and others I've noticed.
Ah oh, I always thought I'd have to buy a Schwinn pair. Well shoot, now I can rest easier wit original Carlisle's.

"Ah oh", gave me an excuse to show it off again. 😃

1981-schwinn-down-cruiser-24-inch-jpg.jpg

Reactions: mrg
Back