When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BEHIND THE FIND

-
At the beginning of the year, I got myself in collecting bicycle license plates. At this time, I already had about four bicycles, which were nothing too special. I acquired a 1906 Minneapolis bicycle tag from @Balloontyre in February of this year and posted it on the bicycle license plate Facebook group. That same day I posted it, I had another gentleman reach out to me about what I paid for it because he knew where a 1900 tag was. He explained that it was still on the bicycle and that it was a Rogers, which ended up being a Roberts instead. He told me he was trying to purchase the bicycle and would sell it to me once he got it. About a month later, someone posted that tag on the same group. This is where I reached out to my contact; he told me he never got around to buying this bicycle. He did, though, give me the contact information. I reached out to him that day about the bicycle, and he gave me more details and photos. The price was more than I expected, but he agreed to shave a little off to cover the fuel because this bicycle was over 4 hours away in Madison, Wisconsin. We made a deal and held off meeting tell after Easter. In late April, I made the trek out there and was delighted to see it was better than what the photos showed. My original intention was for the plate, but once I got it home, I fell in love with it more and decided to keep it all together. This is where I started to enjoy the bicycles more than just the plates attached to them. 1899 Roberts Special.
Screenshot_20221110-205935_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221110-210003_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221110-210023_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20221110-210031_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
This bike popped up on the Cabe, by a young guy, who’s mother had brought it home from work.
She had been delivering Meals on Wheels, to clients who were infirmed.
When she got to one of the houses, there were two bikes sitting out, for the curbside trash pick up.
She asked what the story was, and he just said they were trash, and that she could have them if she wanted them.
Just as she loaded them up, the trash truck rolled up, and the guys asked where the bikes were?
They had seen them on their first pass by, and planned on grabbing them during the route.
Doh!
So, when the Meals on Wheels lady got home, she gave one of the bikes to her sister and one of the bikes to her son. In the ensuing enthusiasm over such a cool old relic, the son immediately did a Google search to see what this crazy old bike was, and was directed to the Cabe.
Thank you, Search Engine!
He posted a question about what the bike was, and what needed to be done to restore it back to its former glory?
The astute Cabe members that we are, we scared the bejesus out of him, by informing him to take it easy with that national treasure, and that he would screw it all up if he got crazy with the steel wool. Simultaneously we were all private messaging him about our interest in the bike, should he decide to part with it.
That was the last any of us had heard from him.
Then three years later, out of the blue, I get this phone call, and it was the kid with the 1940 Shelby Speedline Supreme, and he would like to know, if I’m still interested in the bike?
I said, sure!
But what had he done to it, and what did it look like now?
He told me, that we scared him so bad, that he hadn’t done anything with it, and it was still sitting in it’s as found condition. Fantastic!
So, I said, would you take $3,000 for it?
He said, he was kind of thinking the $4,000 that I had offered three years ago. Lol!
I hadn’t remembered what my initial offer was, but apparently, it was the best offer he had received behind the scenes.
So, I said sure, if that’s what I offered then, and he was willing to sell it for that, we had a deal!
Here is the as found, sitting out for the trash, picture, and the rest are from this bikes second life, after my serendipitous encounter.
D97EC94B-C0F3-44F6-9FCE-AEB7B28BD9C2.jpeg

673ED781-DFCF-4EA2-9B73-AA91A36AF6D8.jpeg

5212EA2B-E094-45BF-8619-994267A5DD9C.jpeg

Another man’s trash, is another man’s treasure.

Last edited:
4499AAF0-8F6A-4F9B-BCA6-9D462546206E.jpeg
2D0CC8FB-DD4A-42CD-982B-4B23E9EF574F.jpeg

Huffman built Western Flyer. I like to say I can smell an old bicycle while driving. Bout ten years ago while working a work train we drove by this every day until I insisted we stop. Ask the fella if he had any old bikes, he said there’s one in the junk pile. We walked down to look at it when I saw it I picked it up and told him “this can’t live here anymore” Took five years of stopping by to get him to sell it to me. Turned ot his father bought it new for Wayne and his brother for Christmas. Wayne is now 86 and battling a health issue that’s probably not gonna come out good. He keeps fighting I manage to get by there once in a while. There’s more to this hobby than just bikes and this one will never leave.

This one, was another one of those,
“Getting the Call” stories.
I was at work, when I got a text message from the Cabe’s own, @sarmisluters He said, that his coworker, Charley, had just inherited a bike and that he wanted to sell it.
I asked what it was, and he said, he thought it was a 1940’s Schwinn Paramount.
That piqued my interest, so I asked if he had any pictures of it?
The next text I got, were a series of pictures, of what I could clearly see, was of a first generation prewar Schwinn Sports Tourist model, Paramount.
Wow!
At that time, I had never even seen an actual set of the Schwinn Webb, “Ten Spot” brakes.
So, right away, I knew I wanted this bike. I made an offer, that I figured would be considered fair, and which was accepted.
We made arrangements to meet up that evening after work.
He lived up in Palos Verdes, which would be a tough drive at that time of day.
Rush hour traffic in Los Angeles is legendary.
So I left right after I got off work and started working my way up there.
I stopped for dinner, all the while, educating myself on all things, Prewar Paramount.
Our meeting time was for 8:00 pm, so I drove up the hill, to get to Charley’s house.
It was a steep drive, so I’m thinking this bike didn’t get ridden much, if at all, while it’s been in Charley’s care.
The view from Charley’s house was spectacular!
It seemed like you could practically reach out and touch Catalina Island, and the lights from Los Angeles Harbor were incredible!
Best light show on Earth!
But, back to the bike.
It turns out, that Charley’s dad had been riding buddies with the Paramounts original owner.
He had been a Dentist in Santa Monica, and had bought the bike locally.
Hans Ohrt was a famous local shop on Santa Monica Blvd, that specialized in early Lightweights.
There is a remnant of the shops decal on the frame, with only the word Santa visible, so I can only assume, that this is the shop, where this bike was purchased when new.
Anyway, when the original owner passed away, he left the bike to Charley’s dad, and when Charley’s dad passed away, he left it to Charley, and then me.
We had a nice visit and consummated the deal.
While I was loading the bike up, Charley asked me, in an inquisitive tone, if I had actually planned on riding that bike?
My reply, Absolutely!
2A6692CF-E300-4D34-B1E2-DDAC4B96BDB0.jpeg

5998B985-6961-4E11-93D4-EE6818071FD6.jpeg

39B7807C-27D7-4721-8A19-28BD99DE33AC.jpeg

96967F5A-4FB9-4F7B-9F11-BA4D73ED4A01.jpeg

08629D16-DB63-4154-BF00-C704F5874C3C.jpeg

Here’s the;
1939 Schwinn, Sports Tourist model, Paramount.
Cruising the Pacific Coast since 1939.
Thank you, Sarmis!

Last edited:
About 15 years ago i saw this bicycle at a "super secret" swap meet in the Seattle area. I tried to buy it but the owner indicated it wasnt for sale. I also have a friend in Seattle who also was friends with the owner and his family. This friend put a bug in the ears of the family and owner multiple times over the years about my continued interest in the bike. In addition, i wrote letters to the owner over the years expressing my continued interest.
Well the owner became ill and later passed away which caused his family to begin liquidating his collection and several desirable parts. My friend called me and told me he was helping in evaluating the collection and asked me what i would pay for the Aerocycle. I gave him a fair number, he checked with the family and i was told to come get the bike. I also bought the 39-40 during the same trip.

View attachment 1739101

View attachment 1739102

View attachment 1739103

View attachment 1739104
😍🥰 love it

I was searching for info on my Free Spirit cruiser and theCabe popped up. Then I found Kirk Thomas, and that started my decline into real bicycles. My first one was a fully equipped JC Higgins tank bike full fenders, rack etc. It's been re-homed, but I have gotten at least 8 more from other Cabers. I'm always searching for my next ride. Thanks to all of you.

Back